Let's talk a bit more about primers.

Prof Young

Via my previous thread about primers that get flattened a bit when you seat them I've come up with a new query.

When a primer is crimped into place, the process at the factory would put the primer in the brass first and then crimp it . . . right?

Life is good.

Prof Young

I had heard that primer crimping was essentially done for mil-spec for use in automatic weapons. I.E. increased vibration in an automatic might shake the primer loose otherwise if it wasn't a firm seat.

Not to mention being moved in and out of warehouses, loaded on trucks, helicopters, amphibs, Hum Vees etc etc for 40 or 50 years until it is fired

Well I thought so . . .

Some of the content in the previous primer thread made me wonder if I didn't understand how crimping a primer worked. Seems obvious that the primer would be in the pocket before the crimp.

Life is good.
Prof Young

The process is similar to the one used to stamp markings on the case head.

The case is supported in a fixture, with the primer already in place, then a tool (punch) "bunts" the base, controlled for force and depth, and made to upset ('smush) the edge of the primer pocket, creating the crimp. This is done without impacting the primer.

Back