Lets talk .22's

new_camper

I have a bolt action .17 hmr (my first gun) that I dont shoot much because of the price of ammo. It also doesnt have open sights which at the time I thought I would like, but lately I have been wanting to practice and become proficient with open sights, as well as shooting basics overall. What are some decent (bolt semi I dont care which) 22's that can be had used at reasonable prices?

Does anyone know how much a savage blued .17 hmr less than 500 rounds through it goes for these days in case I decide to sell mine?

everyone here will probably tell you Henry is the way to go in your price range. for a little more you can get a nice Winchester 9422

Good Bolt .22 rifles,,,

Savage Mk II rifles,,,
They make several versions,,,
Everyone I know who owns one shoots well with them.

CZ rimfire rifles,,,
Again, several different models,,,
I have a CZ-452 Special Military Trainer,,,
I know the rifle has a ton more inherent accuracy than I wring out of it.

And it's absolutely beautiful. :D

Every rifle company makes a bolt-action gun,,,
These are two brands I have seen in action.

Happy hunting.

Aarond

CZ has several bolt models with good sights , and they are a lot of rifle for the money , though they may be higher than you like . Ruger 10-22 is a nice auto though the sights are pretty lowball as it comes from the factory . For a " budget " rifle i would look hard at marlin for either auto or bolt gun .

I just picked up a used Anshutz (Savage import) .22 LR for $650, I know that sounds like a lot but it did have a Vari-X III 4.5-14x 40 AO for a scope. That scope needs to come off as it is just way too much for the little rifle but it drops the price of my rifle to about $325. My point is there are a ton of great used .22 LR out there and you can't hardly wear one out.

P1000484.jpg

CZ has models with interchangeable barrels to if you want some more umph

I am very happy with my Savage mkII

but my bro outshots me with an old SAKO .22:(

it is literary hole in hole with proper rest, and the same ammo, I get coin sized groups which is good/great enough

I know this sounds absurd, but the little CZ Farmer I handled at our LGS is probably the most ergonomic rifle I've picked up. It shouldered like it belonged there.

I hate to band wagon with the crowd, though I will say CZ makes some fine rifles for any money. In my honest opinion. You can find a more expensive rifle, it may not be a better rifle. Also as far as looks go I would be hard pressed to show a rifle that looks as good as the CZ that cost less than twice as much, and would be hard pressed to show that it shot better too.

For an inexpensive rifle that you can have fun with, and learn the use of iron sights. The Mosberg 702 Plinkster is a good one for under $130. Last time I saw one in WalMart I think they were priced at about $109 plus tax. I have seen several at the range, all shot just fine. The one I fired shot minute of pop can with ease. (10 pop cans with 10 shots while kneeling at 100 yards.)

I agree with aarondhgraham on the Mark II. Several options are available, they're quite accurate, and very affordable for what you get.

Camper;
Find yourself a used CZ 452 Full stock. They come with excellent tangent iron sights, (rear sight slides back & forth on gradient arm like early military arms) are more accurate than most folks can hold and they fill the eye with satisfaction. I've had mine for about 3 years & it has been and is a treat to the eye and even better at the range. Not cheap but reasonable in cost but one that will always appreciate in value. If you can ignore the scope, you can see what I mean.

Roger

452FS012.jpg

For a great budget 22 bolt gun I would agree with the Savage MKII.

If your budget allows more, step up to the CZ as others have said.

I really wanted the CZ but I wanted to scope it. For the price of the CZ i could get the MKII and a scope. I went with the MKII and I am very happy with it.

If you really want to focus on the basics stick to a bolt gun.

Last edited:
I shoot my grandmas old remington 511 scoremaster. It is old and beat up, but i can shoot squirrels open sights out to 100yrds. Very accurate and alot of fun. sure u can pick one up for cheap.

I have a Marin semi auto and like it a lot. I know they make a bolt for a reasonable price.

Good luck and good shooting señor.

ps.I had to dissuade a co-worker the other day from buying a .17 as his first gun. for just plinking I see no reason to go .17 over .22.

T

Back