Lethal distance of hi powered rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inactive
Let's say I am out shooting my .243 or my larger 30.06 rifles. If I were to let a round go by accident into the open air, what is the maximum distance the bullet can travel and what is the maximum distance it could be lethal to a human?
I know the answer will depend on the calibers, loads, bullet weight, wind, etc....
Looking for an average.
Also, where can I find a calculator to better assist me in this question?

Interesting and disturbing questions. You have guns for which you don't know their capabilities that you are worried about firing off by accident into the air (we call that a negligent discharge, by the way) and so you want to know the AVERAGE range at which they would be lethal to a human being without specific consideration of critical facets (caliber, weight, velocity, bullet type, angle, altitude, weather, etc.).

Asking for knowledge is a good thing, but you have gone about it in a bad manner. First, you don't want an AVERAGE. You want a MAXIMUM RANGE. You need to consider that for such a negligent discharge, anything within the maximum range it potentially at risk. Plus, you need the MAXIMUM range for harm, not lethality because if the bullet is traveling with enough velocity to harm someone, you run the risk it can kill them. Either way, if somebody is killed or injured, you are responsible for what happens as a result of that round you fired by ACCIDENT. Heck, you are responsible for property damages for that matter.

As far as a calculator, there are a bunch online. Use GOOGLE. Use your SEARCH button here to check for ones already posted on the forum.

There should be a maximum range listed on the ammunition boxes you buy, the round will have lethal force all the way to it's maximum range.

If not then you can look up the ballistics for the ammo on the manufacturers websight.

Jimro

On a box of 22 it will say " caution range 1 1/2 miles.

A 180 grain 30-06 bullet fired at the right angle can travel over 3 miles.

Rifles should never be shot into the air like that, always know your backstop.

I'm not a ballistic expert... but

I would say as long as the rifle is held at below a 45 degree angle then what ever the maximum distance of the round is...that is the lethal distance.

Several miles for anything over 22lr for sure.

Providing I'm computer literate enough to make this work, here is a chart of the 308 Winchester at 3200'ps with a Sierra MK bullet. The ballistics would look like this:
JBM Maximum Distance Output
Input Data
Manufacturer: Sierra Description: .308 dia. 150 gr. HPBT MatchKing™

Muzzle Velocity: 3200.0 ft/s

Temperature: 59.00 °F Pressure: 29.92 in Hg
Humidity: 0.0 % Altitude: 0 ft

Std. Atmosphere at Altitude: No Corrected Pressure: Yes
Calculated Parameters
Atmospheric Density: 0.07647 lbs/ft³ Speed of Sound: 1116.5 ft/s

Initial Angle: 30.0 deg Terminal Angle: 62.9 deg
Terminal Range: 4476.7 yds Terminal Velocity: 413.9 ft/s
Terminal Time: 28.082 s Terminal Energy: 57.1 ft•lbs

This for the absolute maximum range of this bullet/load combination at the ideal initial angle as computed by the program. The bullet remains lethal as long as it is moving in air. There are some morons that think it isn't dangerous by firing guns up in the air for New Years and such. Even once the bullet reachs maximum arch, the weight of the bullet in free fall has killed folks. I think that was the real question here.

Distance depends at what altitude the round is fired.....this should give you a good idea.

HowFar.jpg

FirstFreedom said:
....are those charts for if the gun is held horizontal, or if the gun is held 45 degrees?

Not sure, but since the chart says "maximum", I'd guess it's at the optimum angle to achieve the greatest distance.

That's what I'd guess, too. I think the optimum angle is between 39-45, somewhere in there. I want to say that, for some strange reason, it's a little less than 45, contrary to intuition.

Around 30 or 35 years ago: I know of a case where a guy was working on his house, doing some painting, when he fell off the stepladder. Nobody in the neighborhood had heard a shot, but there was a 130-grain .270 bullet, unexpanded, inside his skull.

This was during deer season. Now, a .270 is pretty loud, but nobody heard any shot. The shot could have been fired anywhere from one to two miles away; probably over a mile. Odds are that the hunter didn't even know about it until he read the newspaper article.

Art

And don't forget...

The bullet can be lethal along the entire path. A few years back a person was killed by a .44 bullet that stuck them in the head as they sat on a park bench. Investigation indicated the only place the shot could have come from was over 2 miles away! ALways, always, ALWAYS have a safe backstop!

I think the optimum angle is between 39-45, somewhere in there. I want to say that, for some strange reason, it's a little less than 45, contrary to intuition.
Strange Reason=Air Resistance.

In a vacuum, 45 degrees would be optimal.

Optimal angle depends on the ballistic coefficient of the bullet. Higher B.C.; higher angle.
As John said (beat me to it :) ), in a vacuum or with an infinite ballistic coefficient, the optimal angle would be 45°.

If you are in a vacuum, you have worse problems than stray bullets. The angle of departure for maximum range in air is something between 30 and 35 degrees.

Hatcher found that the maximum range of a .30-06 M2 150 grain flatbase was about 3500 yards; the M1 173 grain boattail would carry for 5400, two and three miles, respectively. They would carry a dangerous wallop most of the way.

The chart seems to give one a good idea, but I think it is developed for a particular round, since the 30-06 has more range than the 300 H&H? If anything, the one that retains a positive vector will leave the bullet free falling the furthest (generally speaking)

One might note that while any bullet falling would inflict injury, the 300-grain slug would be a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back