Let me introduce you to some indigenous life...

John/az2

I found this in the parking lot of a store I work on.

scorpion.jpg

BTW, this is a LIFE SIZE scan... :)

WANTED: access to J. Reno's dwelling! :)

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

http://www.countdown9199.com

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited August 27, 1999).]

Yow. Looks like the scorps in Hexen II. Unfortunately, I don't think this wee slikkit beastie has enough venom to take down The High Priestess of Waco. Perhaps a battalion of brown recluses would do the job. :)

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

"...A battalion of brown recluses..."

Woah, very "X-Files"!

And a very appealing thought. God should be so merciful to that crone.

We had a boy from Texas in our (military) outfit who was always braggin' about how big and better Texas was. The guys got sick of it.

So they got this big ole Maine lobster and put it in Tex's bed and waited for him to find it.

Shore 'nuf. The kid comes in, pulls down the covers on his bed and spies this big ole lobster, "What in the name of Stephen Fuller Austin is THAT?" he cried out.

The other guys, all in on the joke, kept a straight face and calmly said, "Oh, it's just a bedbug."

"A BEDBUG!" says Tex, "Well, good thing it ain't full grown!"

Sorry guys, this one is non-leathal. Been stung by them a few times... bout like a bee sting. When I was about 10 I did an experiment. Took one of these little critters and put in in a jar with a black widow to see who would eat who... Guess what? The black widow had scorpion for dinner. And yes you are right.... I was a terror back then... :) Guess that's what happens when you live 30 miles in the middle of no where, with no friends nearby, you find interesting things to do.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Yes, that's right.

It's the little ones you've got to worry about!

I'll scan one of those when I get back into town. (I've got 4 that we have caught in various places in our home.)

Sorry, but I'm not able to fit the coyote in the scanner... :) :)

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

http://www.countdown9199.com

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited August 27, 1999).]

In OK, brown recluses (fiddlebacks) are EVERYWHERE. Got quite a few around the house. Far more worrisome than those scorpions - though we have those too.

I used to enjoy gathering 20 or so big red ants from one nest, and 20 or so from another and put them all in a jar together - major death match.

ah, what lovely vermin y'all have at work

i work in the District of Columbia
i have access to some big scanners, but...

nuf said?
;)
dZ

From my personal experience, the brown recluse is much worse than the scorpion. The scorpion felt like an electric shock, then real hot for a couple of hours before it just faded away. The recluse started like a big mosquito bite with an unbelievably fierce itch, and after two days I could barely walk (I'd been bitten on the thigh). The combination of the limp, huge circular welt on my thigh with body fluid seeping out soaking my pants leg, and a conviction my leg was going to fall off soon finally drove me to seek treatment. The treatment was to slather a steroid cream concoction on the welt, tape a piece of saran wrap over the welt, and wrap the whole thing in gauze. Had to change it several times a day. I was good as new in about a week. Believe it or not, I don't even have a scar.

ckurts: I know what you are saying. I got bit on the left leg several years back.. I still have a mark on my leg about the size of a quarter were I was bitten. Now, if any spider bites me I am sick for days.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

My wife got stung by one of those uglies 5 years ago.
Made her very sick for two days.

Something she does not want to repeat.
She would SCREAM is she saw that photo!

(Made a HIGH REZ print, and am cutting it out for some trickery :) )

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun
registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will
follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler
September, 1935

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

My oldest son steped on one, several years ago when we lived down state. Foot got very big.
Now the worry is buzztails.

A scream is worth a thousand words...

Took it home last night and put my little cut out in the bathroom near the toilet in the master bath -

This morning at 5:30 I was awoken by a blood curdelling scream that would have sent shivers up even Janet Reno's spine!

I was then severly beaten by a crazed pillow weilding mad-woman wich led to laughter and spontaneous adult mutually consenting relations...

Good way to start out a day! :D

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

-- Adolph Hitler
September, 1935

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

TMI! George, TMI! (Too much information! :D)

Ah ain't goin' NO farther with this 'un! ;)
-------

Mossyrock,
Ref "George, you are NOT a nice man...."

It seems to have worked for HIM!

(Let's see now. How do you print this thing out.....)

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited August 28, 1999).]

Brown Recluse venom is way too slow.

What we really need for JR is the Australian Funnel Web spider, very deadly.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone, well... almost anyone!

BTW, use a blacklight to collect scorpions, they light up like neon at night!

Geoff Ross

------------------
Damn!...I need more practice!

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited August 28, 1999).]

You guys who've been bitten by brown spiders don't know how lucky you are to be alive, much less relatively whole. There are only 2 deadly poisonous spiders in North America, and they are the black widow and the brown recluse.
A friend's mother was bitten by a brown, once on the upper thigh, once on the stomach, and once on the shoulder (spider had been inside a little-used spare nurse's uniform.) She survived, but will forever be bedridden with life support and various tubes. Had to amputate her arm and leg, and cut out the section of stomach where she had been bitten.
Brown & black venom is of a different nature than most spider and bee/wasp venom. They are generally local type venoms, but brown spider venom is more systemic. It starts killing flesh and organs immediately around the bite area, and spreads as it goes. Left untreated, the victim dies of massive gangrene as the affected area of the body dies and then begins to decompose (while still attached to the living flesh.) Gruesome way to die. Never assume that a spider bite is relativley innocuous unless you can positively identify the spider as being a non-lethal type. Browns are apparently very small, and not easy to identify.
Oddly enough, I've heard that the most potent spider venom by far is from the daddy longlegs, but their fangs are too fragile for them to use against anything but the smallest of insects. Supposedly, the venom is so potent that it could kill a healthy large man within minutes. I'm sure glad they can't bite.
A yard man who worked for us when I was a youngster was bitten on the penis by a black widow. YEEEOOWWW! He was sick for several weeks, but survived.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Back