than the sum of its parts...You veterans
of holster "collecting" know what I
mean.

For me, the lessons are: select a
holster style you like from a well-
respected maker, BUY A QUALITY BELT
and rest assured you will be well served
by your new purchase.

I guess that is why most really good holster makers also make and sell really good belts. The money spent on a real holster belt is worth it. My Alessi belts are works of art. They don't look like a gunbelt but a fine suit belt.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited May 01, 2000).]

I will second Jim's thoughts on the Alessi belt. I have one of his 1.5" belts that tapers to 1.25" at the buckle. It is a belt that I wear even when not carrying because it is of such high quality. Lou Alessi is a craftsman and a great guy to deal with.

Evan

I agree too. I LOVE my Alessi belt (and CQC-S w/ single mag pouch). I also have a Rosen belt, which is very nice. But I think it is overly thick. Alessi's belt is not too thick, yet plenty stiff, providing enough support for heavy guns even.
Also, the stitching on the Alessi belt is the nicest, and "dressiest". I'm a rather fashion conscious person, and for a while, I had a hard time finding a gun belt that looked truly dressy. Most guns belts are just two thick pieces of leather slabbed together. Alessi stitches his in a way that the edges are "recessed in", leaving the center (in cross section) thicker than the edges. This, IMO, is what a true dress belt should look like. I just swapped out the brass buckle for a nickel plated on that I prefer (along with the nickel Chicago screws). I have a very nice belt now :)
Lou Alessi is also one of the finest gentleman/businessman you can deal with. He will go out of his way to help a customer. All I can say is that Lou is just too nice of a guy :)

I had a Kramer IWB for my HK USP40 and it was OK. Got my Alessi Talon Plus this afternoon and I don't want to take it off :). Kicks the hell out of the Kramer...and a tick over half the price. Thanks Lou!

- gabe

I thought you should know, I e-mailed this threat (corrected, now, to threaD) to Lou. He should be told how much people like his leather gear.

Better? :D
------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited May 04, 2000).]

The biggest problem with holster collecting is that it takes so long to find out you should have ordered the "other one" :) One solution is to order several different ones at the same time.

Hey sport - the question begs asking, and since nobody else did:

Which of the makers you mentioned are you NOT using, and how come?
:D

------------------
Panzerführer

Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die Säue.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't.

Jim V said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I thought you should know, I e-mailed this threat to Lou. [/quote]

If I could get threats like this one!

- gabe

shamster,
Is the Rosen belt a lined belt? I've found that mule hide is an excellent liner. Texture is much like suede, but stronger without much more bulk. I think horsehide is similiar.
Highly worth looking into if you're looking for strength without too much thickness.

Gator

SO I can't speeel so pretty good. Anyway, I got a reply from Lou, he is trying to get registered here so he can post. He thanks you all for your kind remarks.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Panzerfuehrer,

After re-reading my initial post, I now
realize there was a semi-fractured
sentence there.
I haven't yet received the holster,belt,
mag carrier from Mark Waldon. That's the
one I'm not yet carrying. Soon, hopefully.

I've been ordering Kramer for a number of years, and have been very pleased. I agree with your opinion on having the right belt. It does make an incredible difference. Anyone out there have experience with the Rosen shoulder rig? I'm thinking of getting one for my Les Baer. I've heard his are among the best. Any thoughts on pocket holsters for the little .32 summer guns?

------------------
"I love to do things that scare me, for without fear there is no courage."

Michaelg...

I use a Galco pocket holster for my
N.A.A. Guardian. Seems to work fine.

I know a pocket holster of some type is
usually recommended for pocket carry,
but if I could figure out a way to keep
the gun from shifting without one I'd
prefer to go holsterless. It strikes
me that I bought the Guardian because of
its compactness. A pocket holster kind of
defeats that.

Sorry Sport, I misunderstood. I found the Waldon to be worth the wait. Got two, plus a belt and a couple mag pouches.

------------------
Panzerführer

Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die Säue.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't.

swampgator,
Yep, the Rosen belt is lined. Actually, most holster makers I know of make their belts lined, hence...a double thick belt. Basically, it's just 2 pieces of leather slapped together and stitched.
The reason I think the Alessi belt is the nicest is because it is not just 2 pieces of leather slapped together. It is stitched in a way that the edges are thinner than the center (in cross section). Plus the inside layer is left tan. Overall, it is a nicer belt than any other, IMO. And plenty stiff too, without being too thick. Most other gun belts tend to be too thick if you ask me.

Back