Lesson learned with my .22LR rifle and new scope

Pep in CA

Let me start by saying I'm a new shooter (this year) so this is a newbie thread. Hopefully it will help other newbies like me.

After much struggle hitting 100 yard steel targets at my local range using my .22LR rifle with iron sights, I finally bought a 4x-32 scope for it. I sighted the scope in at 50 yards using my range bag as a bench rest. The shot pattern was fine, about the size of a quarter, so I got good results and adjusted my scope accordingly.

Then I moved the target back to 100 yards and used the same shooting technique. The shot pattern was not as good, as expected, but the center of the pattern was 7 inches low, which surprised me. I wondered how it was so low.

Then I investigated the ammo I've been using. It is CCI "Standard Velocity" lead round nose. I didn't realize that "standard velocity" is actually subsonic -- 1070 fps. CCI's website comfirmed that this ammo sighted in at 50 yards has a 7.6" drop at 100 yards. No wonder I was having trouble hitting the 100 yard steel targets.

I have since ordered a brick of Mini-Mags, i.e. "high velocity" rounds. However, I do believe that subsonic rounds have a purpose, but only out to about 50-70 yards. Am I wrong?

If you shoot a ten shot group at 100 yards as carefully as you can with high velocity ammo and then repeat that on a second target with standard velocity ammo, you will probably get a substantially smaller group with the standard velocity ammo. Since it is designed to stay sub-sonic, it never has to deal with the turbulence of the trans-sonic zone. I recommend that you sight your rifle to be centered on target with standard velocity ammo at 75 yards. Then, without changing the adjustments, retest at 15, 25, 35, 50, 65, 85, and 100 yards to get a feel for the trajectory. You will probably find that switching to the high velocity ammo without further adjustments, will be pretty close to a 100 yard zero, but the groups will be larger.

If you have figured out the drop of your ammo, and know where it hits, whatever the distance, the velocity becomes less important than all the other considerations of accurate shooting.

Generally, sighting in the high-speed ammo for a zero at 75 yards will be the most useful for plinking and for small game. The main thing is to learn the trajectory, so you'll know the "overs and unders" for other distances.

I really enjoy shooting standard velocity ammo in my .22lrs. Some semi-autos might need high velocity stuff to cycle properly but I haven't found a high velocity load that my firearms shoot as accurately as the standard loads.

I've taken game as big as a 180lb feral hog at 35 yards with a standard 40 grain lrn load.

edit to add: learning the trajectory of your .22 with loads it shoots accurately will help you shoot centerfire rifles later.

I only use standard subsonic when running a can and wanting to be quiet. I use a 50 yard zero as this is the practical limit at which most game you will be dealing with can be taken with subs.

However, I do believe that subsonic rounds have a purpose, but only out to about 50-70 yards.
A 22LR is realistically a 100yd round. Add some wind to the equation and it can get quite challenging to hit small targets.

I've taken game as big as a 180lb feral hog at 35 yards with a standard 40 grain lrn load.
Sounds quite foolish to me, I sure hope it was a necessary shot.

Hmm. You pull the shot slightly, ricochet the bullet off his skull and he charges you. 35 yrds isn't much distance for the hog to close. If you did miss (ever so slightly I might add, a 22LR does not give you a big kill zone on a hog) and he turned and faced you a 22LR would be utterly useless. Did you have a 357+ handgun on your side in case the situation unfolded differently?

I suppose if you aren't confident in making the shot, you shouldn't take it no matter the cartridge. If you have the right angle and the pig is stationary, it's not that big a deal.

I don't buy high velocity 22lr anymore because my handguns hate it and smash cci stingers and velocister cases into banana shape. The standard velocity works so much better with my rifles and handguns.

The only high velocity 22 you will see me using is for my 22mag.

The difference in power between standard velocity and high velocity 22LR is insignificant, as both are only suitable for small game, varmints, and targets. Assuming that both are equally reliable to function in a given firearm, the next consideration would either be accuracy, followed by trajectory. or the other way around. In the last several years, if we have learned anything at all, we all should now know that the best 22 rimfire ammo is any that is available and make do with what you can get. The next election cycle could very well reinforce that lesson. I generally prefer the standard velocity ammo because I find it is more consistent on target, again, generally. My preferred brands are Winchester, CCI, and Federal; generally in that order. Serious match ammo is too expensive for my needs, but the cheapest ammo is often a false bargain.

You decide if you want/need the flatter trajectory of the HV ammo and proceed accordingly. Be advised that ANY 22lr ammo is going to have a noticeable drop @ 100 yards with a short range zero.
I shoot quite a bit of sub-sonic 22lr(1020-1050 fps from a rifle) and only see 2-3" of difference in drop between SS and HV.

Probably, every time you change ammunition or your range, you will also have to make small adjustments on the sights.

It's not so much a matter of velocity as it is knowing to align (realign) the sights to accommodate disparate loads (having different velocities, bullet weights and types, etc.). Rounds having different velocities aren't necessarily more or less intrinsically accurate but the point of aim (poa) as compared to the point of impact (poi) may have to be reckoned with by adjusting the sights (as cecILL advised).

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. As one replier mentioned, with 22LR ammo, we sometimes have to buy based on what's available, not necessarily what shooting characteristics we want. Such was the case with me.

My lesson learned is that I have to consider the shooting characteristics, mostly drop, and adjust my sights accordingly (including my iron sights), or simply aim higher at 100 yards. It's all part of learning how to shoot well, as several of you pointed out.

Points taken and lesson learned.

Cheers.

If your .22 is a semi-auto with detachable magazine, it would be ideal for an Appleseed event. You'll learn more about shooting in two days than you could learn in a lifetime shooting on your own.

Gun people get really snarky about vocabulary. The sooner you pick up the lingo, the quicker you'll fit in with shooters everywhere.

Shotguns have patterns. Rifles shoot groups. :D

Back