Lesson Learned: Value of having a pocket carry gun

Nathan

This week has been full of visiting with family and old friends. With this comes 4-5 hugs a day from people who don't know I CCW.

I've been forced in the past to practice good hugging technique and pinch a few hands that reached for my gun!

With pocket carry....no issues and I still have a 380 on me!

Appendix carry eliminates most of the "hugging" issues too, as well a couple of others. Allows you not to have to "downsize" too. :)

Smart Carry works very well too.

There really is only one hugging technique, and its pretty simple too. The opposing huggers arms "never" go under yours, always over. It forces their hands higher on your back and away from your waistline (unless of course, youre hugging an octopus :)). Never had an issue doing it that way.

Meh, I don't worry anymore about hugging, though I normally have a primary that is covered only by shirt, and BUG in back pocket. Those that I generally hug are already aware of my carry habits, but I couldn't agree more with the pocket carry convenience. Went to a picnic at a nephew's yesterday, and declined the primary, as it was outside, crowded, many kids, etc. With the BUG in the back pocket, I was still ARMED. This happens fairly seldom, but it does happen, first rule of a gunfight and all.;)

any family get together I would attend, everyone there would be packing. :)

just noticed, I've been hanging out here for 14 years now. Oh my!

I'm not a hugging type person but I do agree that the pocket carry (I carry a 642) is the most concealable, less detectable method of carry.

I teach a Lady's SD & safety class. I had to women I have been square dancing with for over 10 years attending the class. It wasn't until they attended the class that they realized I constantly carry.

One other thing I like about pocket carry is its extremely fast. Its perfectly normal for people to walk around with you hand in you pocket. If you see something suspicious you are ready and no one knows.

Being a retired cop I've seen and heard of people forgetting their guns in restrooms. Never done it my self, but it happens.

Chances are pretty slim that I'll forget my pants in a public restroom.

I've pocket carried more and more in comparison to IWB due to the convenience. In particular I've noticed this is handy if seated in chairs with partial or open backs (folding, skeletonized) or benches/stools. Church = people behind you.

IWB and thin shirts can behave differently and snag the shirt when the butt is pushed upwards from below. It's just my hernia. In an unusual location >_>

I don't carry appendix or use a smart carry, but I do know a guy that uses a smart carry and really likes it because it is so concealable.

That being said I could see where a REALLY over friendly hugging cousin at redneck family reunion might figure out your packing. Either that or your really glad to see her!:rolleyes:

Seriously though as everyone knows the trick is to take the lead on the hug and make sure you get your arms under theirs.

Another thing that helps me is I don't carry a huge smart phone, just a small thin slider, usually in my front pocket so anyone bumping something on my hip is going to assume it's my phone.

Not a fan of pocket carry but sometimes the high heat and humidity make it most uncomfortable to wear more than what is absolutely necessary so during those ridiculously uncomfortable days I too am forced to resort to pocket carry. However, I always have either a G36 or Kimber Ultracarry in a fanny pack either around my waist (which prefer not to do) or slung over my shoulder.

Aside from those few days, I carry a Kimber Pro Carry at the 4 O'clock position most all the other times. My family and close friends are all huggers and kissers. My family and very close friends (mostly shooting buddies) know I carry (as I know they do) and it is never an issue. For those casual acquaintances that like to come in close for the hug and a peck, I make sure their arms are guided to a point on my upper body where they will not make contact with the metal attached to my belt. For those women that have accidentally brushed against my gun under my shirt or jacket, I can immediately see the look of confusion on their face. I say I just came back from the gym and my muscles are rock hard. They usually say, "Oh," and continue on. Some of them will squeeze my arm and say, "You have been working out."

The only time I pocket carry is in the winter, my shield or a snubby in a parka pocket.

I hate things in my pants pockets, I tolerate magazines, of course they are heavier than the pocket guns you guys carry.

I don't see much use for mouse guns.;)

Back