Les Baer Super-Tac | 10mm vs. 9x23

AndABeer

I will be ordering a Super-Tac in the next couple of days. Just a little flip floppy on the caliber. At the present I am leaning heavily towards the 10mm. I already reload this caliber for three other pistols in my collection so chambered. However, I am also curious about the 9x23 cartridge and it might be fun to play with. My favorite shoppe carries 9x23 ammo, but only premium stuff whereas they have a decent (not great) selection of 10. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

While I don't own a Les Baer 10mm, I do have several 10mms and one pistol in 9x23--a Witness originally chambered in .38 S that I had another barrel converted.

I will preface my reply with this statement:

Those seeking advice are secretly seeking an accomplice! :D

Okay, if you have other 10mms, why not get a 9x23 for a change? If there's a problem with the 9x23, there's only 2 loads commercially out there for it--the 125gr STHP and the 125gr jsp.

My Witness was combat accurate with .38 S, but those stupid rims bound up in the mags sometimes. The conversion to 9x23 fixed that problem and the accuracy is very good.

But is that accuracy as good as the 10mms? About even, if the 9x23 shoots better then my 10mms, it ain't enough for me to notice. It is an easy shooter and in the Witness (I only installed a Wolff 22lb spring) recoil is mild.

Lastly, I guess I could live without my 9x23, but not my 10mms!

Derek

My logic so far is that since this will be a pricey pistol and since I already know I like the 10s versatility I should go with it. And then look for a less expensive piece to play with in 9x23 while I decide whether I like it or not. Does Witness still make a .38 Super?

My only other thought would be that with the 9x23, I could have Baer supply a 9mm barrel and probably end up shooting it a lot more.

Both calibers are not the most common out there.
Your shop carries both... Most shops carry some sort of 10... but i'ld hazard a guess that most do not carry 9X23.
Unless I was a reloader, I'ld pass on the 9X23. Being able to quickly purchase more ammo can be important at times.
Besides - 10MM a bigger hole.

Back