Les Baer SRP?

aquatimer

Inactive
I just bought my second SRP from Allan Yoast out of Texas(great guy!).Does anyone else own one, and if so,what do you think?.
Regards,John R.

Your second SRP ? Wow .... Apparently you think good about them. I am thinking of getting a TRP and am trying to figure out the difference between the TRP and TRP Pro. THe Springfield Armory site does not help to much. So what do YOU think of you first SRP ?

Super accurate,and built like a tank.The latest SRP has the new Bear Coat,which is a flatter black than the original.The first SRP was as accurate as the second,just a little more glossy.I traded my first one,and really regreted it.Oh well,alls well that ends well,I got a new one.I am not sure about the Springfeild TRP,have not that much about it.If you decide your interested in Les Baer,the gentleman I got my SRP from is a stocking dealer of new and used Les Baers.

Have you ever had a pistol that made your face twist into a maniacal grin every time you picked it up?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

Mr. Fumank9,
The Springfield TRP is a step below the Professional Model. As you may already know the Professional Model is the same gun that Springfield build for the FBI Regional SWAT teams. It has Novak night sights, Black T finish, Nowlin match barrel, Wilson's beavertail grip safety, King's extended ambidextrious safety, I think 4 pound trigger job, Smith & Alexander magwell, 20 line per inch checkered front strap, shoot 230 gr. golden saber and/or hydra shock loads at 2.5 inch group at 50 yards. You can read about the whole thing in the latest issue of American Handgunner.
The TRP (I had one but sold it, now regretted it) has Novak sights (no night sight), beavertail, extended single side safety, 4.5 pound trigger, 20 lpi checkered front strap and come in either stainless or Springfield's Armory Kote (immitation Black-T) finish. Both guns are extremely reliable and accurate. The Pro Model cost about $1900 while the TRP around $900. It took my local gunstore 6 months to get the Pro Model, cause the factory has to fill the feds order first.
The bottom line is the TRP is like a Toyota while the Pro model is like a Lexus.

Lexus?

More like an Austin Martin Vantage

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

Aquatimer,

Hi, I bought a Les Baer SRP "Commanche" length (Commander) new about one year ago. My SRP is a real good 1911. My only complaints are the tightness, particularly the barrel bushing and the "Bear Coat" finish.

I have over 1,000 rounds through my SRP and I still have to use a hammer and mild persuasion on the barrel's lugs to remove my barrel bushing. This is not a good thing, I know. I hope this bushing will loosen up enough to require only a bushing wrench.

I know, lots of people are going to laugh and say the weapon isn't reliable, but I've had no real problems. Further, this SRP will keep an entire mag of hard ball in group that I can cover with a quarter offhand at 15 yards.

As for the Bear Coat finish, this stuff is too slick. I look forward to it wearing off some so that the slickness goes away. Also, I don't think this finish is on par with Birdsong's "Black-T" in the durability department.

While this pistol isn't perfect. I'll keep mine till I wear it out or until I wear out.
I'm curious to know how much difficulty you've had removing the barrel bushing on your SRP. Drop me a note.

DesertRat

Mute,

There is guy who lives like 5 minutes down the road from me and has a AM DB7 Volante-thats some car, well I'm happy with my Mcoupe hatchback- maybe in another lifetime.

Desert Rat,
My first SRP took very little time to break-in.My second is taking slightly longer.You should contact Baer and let them know you have 1000 rds through the gun and it is still very tight.After talking to Les Baer,I am sure he is the kind of guy that would make it right.I know what you mean about the first generation Bear Coat,I prefer the new Bear Coat much more.My understanding is the new finish has less teflon, but the finish is much more durable.I think your wise to hold on to your SRP,I know they are tight,but man are those groups OUTSTANDING!
Regards,John R.

JG,

I know what you mean. Beamer's are nice but Bond should still be in an Aston. I wish my wife would let me have an SRP. Preferrably in Commanche legnth. That'd be my ideal carry piece.

Mute,

Bond should definitely be in an Aston Martin- well at least the Z8 was an honest attempt to come close to an AM- unlike his grandpa mobile (750il) in the last film-

The SRP is a hot gun, I would consider going with the Springfield FBI Custom shop gun istead- would be a tough choice, but one that I won't be making anytime soon.

If you went with the TRP-PRO - you would not regret it.

------------------
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

George,

Absolutely correct. Hell, I'd be happy with the regular TRP model. Or a Gunsite GSP 2000.

Having 2 Les's myself I can see why you bought another one. I have not tried the SRP, I was leaning more to a monolith to go with my Premier's.

I was on the range yesterday and my premier II was doing about dollar piece groups at 15 yards, (my fault not the guns).

Why do you want a second SRP? Why not try a different style Les?

pete

I was going to get a TRP stainless, but got
a Kimber Combat Carry instead- I'm assuming the TRP Pro just has a few extra features like an Ambi safety and such.

Back