Les Baer or Rock River Arms?

Westtexas

Ok, I've been bitten by the 1911 bug again. Anyone own both of these pistols? Which one do you prefer? Why? Inquiring minds want to know...

In particular, I'm thinking about the 4" bbl Elite Commando of RRA, but I might talk myself into a standard match vs. a Les Baer...

How does the fit and finish compare? The accuracy? Since I am a little strapped for cash at present, I'm thinking of ordering one of these guns "my way". A long delay doesn't bother me at present.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Rock River Arms is a company created by some former employees of Les Baer. They are virtually the same gun. Same quality and workmanship.

Thanks, NAD. I know that RRA is a two-man shop, and are former Les Baer gunsmiths. I like the idea of a two-man shop over an "assembly line" semi-custom pistol, although I do have a Wilson Combat service grade pistol that is excellent. I have never had the opportunity to see a RRA 1911, and would welcome comments by TFL'ers that own one. How do they compare in fit and finish? Any problems? I hate to put down quite a bit of money for a gun I haven't seen. My dealer has a Les Baer Concept 2 in stock. The RRA standard match should be similar, but I would really like to hear from RRA owners before I make up my mind.

I know of three people who received their RRA's. All three had minor flaws that needed fixing. One was sent back to RRA and the other two were taken to their respective local smiths. On the other hand, there are people from 1911forum.com that absolutely love their RRA's.

I know of several others "on the forums" that had horror stories about their lead times with RRA. What once was promised 6-7 months became 9-10 months. In all fairness, RRA is trying to finish California orders before the new year. If you're not concerned about lead times, then expect to wait 10-12 months for your RRA.

Bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with an RRA 1911. I've shot them and I own a couple Les Baers. Accuracy with the RRA and the Les Baers are far better then I am so that shouldn't be an issue. However, I do prefer the fit and finish of my Baers of my friends' RRA's.

Either way, you won't go wrong with either a LB or RRA. Let us know what you decide on!

Thanks, ArmySon, for the useful information. You have several Les Baer pistols, don't you? What do you think of the Concept II pistols? I have heard of some complaints regarding Les Baer customer service. If you don't mind, can you tell me what your experience has been? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

Thanks
Bob

On the customer service question re LB, I have a Les Baer Concept II and a Stinger, and both are very nice pistols, with good fit/finish, and excellent accuracy. I had a question about mags for the Stinger, called LB and the receptionist without any prodding from me put Les himself on the phone. He acted as if he really cared about my question, answered it and knocked 20% off the cost of mags when I wanted to order some. So, so far I am pretty impressed. I have several Kimbers and not only didn't get "Mr. Kimber" on the phone when I had a broken extractor, the customer service guy didn't bother to actually send out the replacement part after my call. I am not knocking Kimbers, because I do like mine, but the contrast in treatment is worth noting. No info on RRA.

Les Baer's customer service does suck. They need to take a page out of Wilson Combat's book on proper customer service. However, that doesn't bother me too much because I usually void the warranty on guns I purchase by sending them off to smiths for more customizations.

If customer service is important to you, you may want to look at Wilson Combat 1911's instead of the LB.

Concept II is a nice gun. I have a Concept III which I shoot the most out of my 1911's.

Back