Les Baer, Gunsite, Wilson.

Monkeyleg

A good friend of mine just opened a gun shop, and he's going after the high-end market to the extent possible here in Milwaukee. I stopped in today, and he had a Wilson Combat .45, a Gunsite .45 and a Les Baer .45. I decided to beg him to let me dry snap the Les Baer once, and he agreed. The gun was so tight it was a struggle to cycle the slide! He told me the Les Baer folks warned him to tell potential buyers to expect feeding problems for the first 500 or so rounds because they are so tight. True?

They are beautiful pieces of work, though.

Dick

True. Les Baers are VERY tight (alomost beyond belief) and it is recommended that you shoot 500 rds with a well lubed gun to break it in. When new it is nearly a feat of strength to get the slide to "pop" open. It should be reliable after the break in. The Wilsons are not as tight, but after 300 rds or so my Wilson Clssic is functioning 100%. I also have a GSP2000 and that shot 100% out of the box, but it is nowhere near as tightly fitted. The Gunsite service pistols are designed for 100% RELIABILITY, and combat vs. target accuracy. I dont yet own a Baer, but I am looking for one, and have shot both a {remier II and a Monolith extensively. Of the three my favorite is the Wilson.

If possible, please have your friend Email me, I am interested in what models of Wilson and Baer he has in stock.

Aloha
John

[Edited by MPower on 01-22-2001 at 06:13 PM]

Both my Les Baers (Concept VII and Concept IX) are tight. The VII has eased up since it has had over 20K rounds through it. The IX is my primary carry gun and has probably shot only 700-800 rounds. This one is still VERY tight. Both guns are 100% reliable though and have been since day 1.

I've been in that shop a couple of times since it opened. It's nice to actually be able to see the guns that people are talking about.

And if someone has one of those awful, tight guns and needs someone to suffer through shooting those first 500 break-in rounds....:D

DialOne 911, good to hear that you had a chance to check it out. Brian is, as I said, an old friend of mine and a good guy. He actually was once my sales rep. The shop should, if his plans go as he wants, be better than it ever was.

I'm not here to hawk his merchandise, but if anyone wants to get the phone # for the shop and inquire about these 1911's, email me.

Dick

Last year, Gun Tests magazine evaluated three combat .45 including a Wilson, Baer, and Clark. One of the reasons they rated the Baer lower was that it was so tight, in order to rack the slide, one had to pop the muzzle end of the gun with the off-hand palm, a situation they noted that could be dangerous and violates one of the shooting safety rules (never point a gun at something you don't intend to destroy). That being said, they condition will work out eventually, after a few hundred rounds, and then the gun should function like a high dollar .45.

Back