LEOs, which sidearm does your dept. issue?

dasmi

Along the lines of the issued ammo question, which pistol does your dept. issue?
Are you allowed to carry anything other than dept. issue, and if so, what do you carry?

My dept issues no weapons, all are officer purchased.

Last I checked, there was one Sig P220 (mine), A Kimber Match STainless (Chief), a G31, three G35s, 4 G22s, couple of g17s, a Springfield XD40, and a couple of Smith Mod 66s.

Dept issue is the Beretta and Glock, SERT members allowed to carry whatever they want. (Basically). I carry a custom built Springfield 1911.

Glock 17 or 22, Officer's choice. However, we can carry anything we want that our Range Officer approves (any quality firearm of a substantial caliber.)

I carry a Glock 21.

Remington 870s ride in our squads, and each officer is issued a Ruger Mini-14. Individually owned rifles are allowed, but must be approved by the Range Officer. 5.56NATO, 30-30 and 7.62X39 are allowed (in addition to pistol calibers.)

Sig P220

Dept issues Sig P220 to patrol...Thank God
Admin & chief gets SIG compact .40's, I forget which model #.
You can carry your personal if it's approved, no single action unfortunately.
Moss 500's up front and approved rifle in the rear, normally AR variant or some MAK 90's.

Along the lines of the issued ammo question:

1) which pistol does your dept. issue?
2) Are you allowed to carry anything other than dept. issue,
a)and if so, what do you carry?

My Local PD

1) Glock 22/23
2) Yes, 2nd gun must be inspected and approved by the Chief of Police

My department issues Glock 22/23. No others are authorized. Back-up weapons can be no more that .40. Personally owned shotguns are allowed with approval. Department owned Remington 870 are available.

Issued firearms are:
Glock 22
Glock 23 for senior command and investigations if we want a 23 instead of 22
Remington 870
Patrol rifles are either Colt or Bushies.

For uniform only the Glock 22 or 23 can be carried. For plain clothes/covert then authorization has to be given to carry something different than issued.
Authorized off duty/covert/second guns have to be .380 or larger, at least 5 shot, qualify once a year, HP ammo only, and be approved by the range officer and district commander.

Issued weapons...
Pistol...Glock 22 or 23 (officer choice...I choose the G23)
Shotgun...Benelli Novas
Rifle...Colt M4gery (semi)

Last edited:
Sig Sauer P229 - .357. No reported quality issues, everyone loves them (everyone b*tched about the previous S&W 1046's). I am completely confident that it is going to work if I need it, can't say that about the S&W's.

Current department issues Colt ARs, Remington 11-87s or Mossy 500s, and 1911 style handguns in either Sprindfield Single stack or Para Ordinance double stack flavor, single action only. Officers may provide thier own shotty or handgun if it meets deparment criteria. :cool:

The only thing my dept. issues is AR-15's. I also have a issued Rem LTR in 308. Duty pistol is a G-35. Our Chief has a 35 too with Glock 17's and 22's being the rest with 1 HK USP in .40. We can carry a .45 ACP, .40 or 9mm in anything that the Chief and I agree is OK. I carried a 1911 before I discovered the 35.

Issued Firearms

Patrol:
Glock 22 (officer's may purchase and carry any Glock in 9mm or 40. I carry a G35)
DPMS CAR w/ quadrail forearm, EOTech optics
Remington 870 Less Lethal systems

Investigators & Admin.:
Glock 27, 23, 22.

Nothing issue. You must provide your weapons and it must be on the approved list. That list includes 1911's.

Back