LEOs: What kind of ammunition/bullets does your department require or issue?

Doug.38PR

What kind of ammunition and bullet does your police department or law agency issue?
Is there any ammo or bullet that you are not allowed to use?

.40 S&W 180 gr. Speer Gold Dots.

Dept. policy forbids Extreme Fang-Faced, Nytrillium, Nuclear-tipped, triple driving banded in excess of .2 KT yield ammo. :rolleyes:
It's too destructive. :D

Dept. issue is Winchester Ranger SXT 9mm +P+. If you carry another caliber, the ammo must still be Ranger. I carry a .45 ACP. We do have a clause in SOP that allows for anything short of a tactical nuke during exigent circumstances.

Dept Ammo

Gold Dot. Sub sonic, heavy bullet in 9mm, .40 and .45. Except for the SWAT teams 9mm subs which get the 124 grain +P...

Last agency.....40 155 grn, Federal, Remington, whoever got the contract, but I used to load Corbons 135, or 150's.

Ranger SXT-9/.40/.45

As a commissioned officer assigned outside the agency (P/A Office) I have some lattitude, however. MY XD-40 is stone reliable and dead on the button to 50 yards, with Rem/UMC/180-JHP; and so that's what I carry.

Whatever is on sale...and I am not kidding. It ticks me off to no end

Consider yourself lucky. My dept doesnt issue any ammo, period. We are required to buy our won, and there are no guidelines, other than it must be hollowpoint. For that matter, my dept doesnt issue anything but uniforms, badge, and brass. My vest, my duty gear, my gun, my cuffs, my boots, etc...its all mine, and all purchased from my pocket.

FWIW, I am currently carrying .45 230gr Hydra-Shoks, but am looking at changing to Hornady 230gr TAP when I can find a retailer that carries the full pressure LEO stuff.

Back