LEO reserves

John/az2

I'm sure it's different state to state, but how did you (to whom this applies) become a Reserve Police Officer?

What are your responsibilities?

Is it a completely voluntary or is there some pay in it?

How complete is your authority compared to a regular officer?

What advantages/disadvantages have you experienced from being a reserve LEO?

Thanks!

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

becoming a Reserve LEO varies from dept to dept. Many depts have no reserve whatsoever.

At the SO here we official have an "auxillary." The auxillary officers spend a certain amount of time in a "ride-along" situation with a full time deputy, then they are allowed to come in and work shifts whenever they want, signing out one of two extra patrol cars. The training time varies from individual to individual.
They are fully sworn LEOs from day one, though few have ever gone to the academy, and they receive a modest monthly stipend once they reach the level when they can patrol by themselves. Many of the "paid" auxiallary are rescue workers or firemen as well.

At the SO, Reservists are given some gear and one or two uniforms, but just the basics, they must provide everything else. They have to take a drug test and submit to a background check just like any potential full time officer. they have to supply their own weapon, which must be approved by the Training officer and they must qualify with it. This includes any back-up weapon. Offciers are issued ammo for qualification and carry if it is .40 S&W, otherwise they supply their own. I am not sure, but I think the minimum requirement is 1 day per month, but that is not enforced.

I got my credentials for many reasons, probably least of which was so that I could ride around and pull people over for expired tags or check on burglar alarms going off, which is what our SO spends a significant amount of time doing.
The biggest advantage that I get from being a sworn LEO is that I have police powers when I am out with the Metro police unit that I spend a lot of time with. For about five years I have spent a significant amount of time in a "ride-along" situation with Metro CID detectives. I have done a number of things since I have had my credentials that I would not have been able to do, or at least not supposed to have done, without them. While Metro officially has no reserves, it has put me on more of an equal footing when I go out with them. I am sure that I spend at least 5 shifts with metro for every one that I work with the SO.

I will add that carrying a gun and a badge is not a viable reason to join as reservist in most cases, in fact, I know of people who have lost reserve status after flashing badges when it was not appropriate, or misrepresenting themselves.

BTW- I think that the situation I am in is not very common in the Reserve Circles.. quite often in fact, "reserves" are really glorified ride-alongs. Also, in some cases, many of the people carried on a "reserve" roster might just be friends of the Sheriff or Chief and really play no role in LE whatsoever. It is often a situation that you can really make as much or as little out of it as you want.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 13, 1999).]

California's reserve officer program is regulated by the same state board that regulates regular officer training standards.

Over the years the training requirement to become a reserve has increased to the point it is equal to a regular officer's.

Training is either provided by large agencies, like Los Angeles Sheriff, Los Angeles Police, etc., or at regional training academies located at community "junior" colleges all over the state. The regional academies allow smaller rural agencies access to the same quality education the larger agencies provide.

Each department has its own policy on how reserves are utilized. My department allows its reserves to progress as far as their ambitions take them. Since many of our reserves choose to become regulars, it is not unusual for some of our reserves to be as capable as many regular officers. We even have reserves on the department SWAT team.

Normally, reserves have peace officer arrest powers only when on duty. However, those reserves who have the equivalent academy training of a regular officer can be appointed Designated Level I reserves and have 24 hour peace officer status. This only applies where the governmental body - city council or county board of supervisors have enacted an ordinance authorizing such designation.

Our reserve deputies are issued two uniforms and all safety equipment including a pistol. They receive an allowance to maintain and replace their uniforms. The must work an eight hour shift every two weeks. They are not paid for the mandatory service time. However, they are paid should their shift extend past eight hours or they are hired for
a "extra help" detail. Many of our reserves are hired as "extra help" to fill in as court baliffs.

I started as a reserve in 1982. I purposely chose to ride with deputies who were good trainers and encouraged me to learn as much as possible. The last year and a half, after I received all the required training, I was assigned a beat like any other deputy and worked it myself.

I went to work full-time in 1989.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

Reserve status, like life, has both its positive aspects and negative aspects.

The positive: service to your community; professional association with some of the finest men and women you will ever meet; adrenalin rushes which don't compare to anything except skydiving; depending on the agency, lots of firearms training (can you say play?), potential for full time employment as a LEO.

The negative: professional association with some of the biggest prima donnas you will ever meet (and they'll treat as second class citizens or wannabes); getting called lotsa dirty names; have stuff thrown at you; being shot at (maybe killed); rolling around the sidewalk fighting folks who should have been aborted before birth; needlesticks (HIV); civil liability; and to top it off, if someone in your agency doesn't like you, it could be the kiss of death to full time employment as a LEO.

We have reserves too and my hat's off to them - especially to the ones who are employed full time elsewhere and do it as a service.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back