• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

LEO Forum?

mlk18

I am wondering why there isn't an LEO forum on TFL?
Glock Talk has one that seems highly successfull. And
from all accounts it seems like there is over 100 or so
LEO's that are active posters, with I'm sure, a good deal
more that do more reading than posting. Law enforcement
and firearms fit well together on a forum, IMHO, and I would
like to suggest that one being created on TFL.

I would be willing to assist in moderating such a forum,
as I am sure several other LEO here would. Thanks.

mlk18

I never meant Law Enforcement ONLY, I meant a public forum for LEO's, people wanting to ask LEO's questions, people with LEO related topics to discuss, posting LEO related news information, LEO related equipment reviews, etc. Which is exactly what they have on Glock Talk. But as a I prefer TFL, I thought it would nice to have a similar open forum here.

But I also highly disgree that LEO's are citizens first and cops second (as posted in that link).

While I'm against having any forum dedicated to LEO-stuff, if we "get" to have one, let me be the first to suggest a non LEO-stuff forum. (heavily tongue in cheek)

mlk18, aren't these same questions already discussed freely in every forum we currently enjoy? Perhaps you (me too) prefer TFL over GT due to the distinction drawn by our most illustrious & wise adminsitrators & moderators.

& we could have a most spirited discussion re "cops citizens first." They had darned well better be, Sir, & allow me be the first to respectfully & heartily disagree with your posit.

I concur with your assessment of my (our) preference for TFL over GT. And while my presence on GT is normally limited to Cop Talk, I presumed that such a forum on TFL would be more productive and spirited. We do discuss these issues already, but in a disorganized manner.

As far as my position on citizenship goes. I am a citizen, a civillian in terms and a police officer. And while some can argue that being an LEO is a choice, I believe it is a calling. I often set aside parts of my personal and public life to make my community a safer place. And while I view a citizen as a proud and active member of his or her country, few citizens are willing to make the sacrifices and take the risks a police officer does. It brings to mind the theory of (or differences between) persons who enjoy the freedoms of citizenship, versus the people who go out and esnure those people are free and able to enjoy those freedoms. I believe the sacrifices I make, the risks I take and my calling as a law enforcement officer are larger than 'just' citizenship. Which is also how I feel about those serving in the armed forces. Semantically speaking; I am a Police Officer SO I can be a citizen.

mlk18

mlk18:

Allow me to suggest Starship Troopers... The BOOK, not the crappy movie. :)

You had to serve the state to EARN your citizenship and the privilege of voting.

-Dave

P.S. I am a citizen, and I have the right to not be a soldier or a peace officer if I so choose. What's more, I am as much a citizen (and have the same rights) as any soldier or officer of the law. For this reason, I have the utmost respect for soldiers and LEOs; because they were citizens first, and chose to do a difficult job for low pay, high risk and not gain any more rights than anyone else. (In theory) ;)

In all sincerity: Thank you for doing what you do! :)

mk-
The perception by some that LEO's are more than mere citizens is a large part of the reason that we will not host such a forum. To the extent that this attitude exists, it's most divisive.

Don't get me wrong....I truly appreciate what you do and the sacrifices you make....just as I appreciate:
- The Soldier
- The Surgeon
- The Peace Corps volunteer
- Those that man the various Abused Children shelters, nationwide
- The honorable clergyman or politician
- The Firefighter
- The entrepeneur
....and a host of others.

However, they are citizens first. With the exception of the Soldier, they are civilians forever. When we refer to LEO's as more than citizens (more accurately, as non-civilians), we raise the spectre of a Police State. This is not a good thing. The fact that most Americans think your job is to protect them against every threat in their lives, is both misguided and dangerous.
Rich

Back