Lengthening 870 stock

1911fan

Is there any way to lengthen the synthetic stock on an 870?? The factory stock is about 1.5-2" too short for me.

Is there possibly an aftermarket replacement??

Thanks,

Mike

Most shops and mail order companies have spacers for a few bucks, usually in 1/4" thicknesses, that can be used to lengthen the stock a bit, but 1 1/2" is a bit much for that.

The Trap stock w/ Monte Carlo is longer, mine runs 15", while the utility stock on my parts gun runs 13 1/2", and an friend's 870 Express splits the difference at 14".

A thicker pad and a couple of spacers might give you enough length, but if it's a "Serious" shotgun, you may do better leaving it short.

BTW, if you go the above route, you'll need longer pad screws.

Or.....

Leave your pad on it, add a coupla shims made from scrap leather inside a slip on pad and put it together. It won't look as nice as a Purdy, but it'll work fine.

Dave,

This is more of a utility gun (26" barrel). It's the only one I have with 3.5" chambers, so it's mostly used for hunting. I have a couple of sporting clays shoots coming up that require a pump gun, so I took it out last weekend and shot a couple rounds of skeet with it to get used to it (I hadn't shot it in about 4 months). After putting 50 shells through it, I realized that I really needed the extra length.

Mike

Ok, Mike, and I sure would like to find a Sporting course that requires a pump. I'd like to see how I'd do on triples, no rabbits, please.

Try that slip on setup,since it's cheap,reversible,cheap, easy,cheap, etc.

I was planning on putting one on Frankenstein, just to see how a longer stock would affect my wingshooting in warm weather. I'll let you know...

Back