Lemat?

Model12Win

Anyone shoot a Lemat? I don't care about the shotgun barrel and probably would only use it for snakes, I care that it's different and has 9 shot of .44! Looks extremely cool but it's pricey.

Should I get one?

I've handled one. Has an absolute bear of a main spring. Took a lot of thumb strength to cock one handed. I can't speak to its shooting qualities, but I've frequently heard it said that a LeMat owner's two happiest days are the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Having said that, they're very cool and unique guns.

Apparently they're much easier to load with a press and the cylinder off the gun. Mike Beliveau (Duelist1954) has a few good LeMat videos on YouTube that are worth watching.

I've handled one. Has an absolute bear of a main spring. Took a lot of thumb strength to cock one handed. I can't speak to its shooting qualities, but I've frequently heard it said that a LeMat owner's two happiest days are the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Having said that, they're very cool and unique guns.

Apparently they're much easier to load with a press and the cylinder off the gun. Mike Beliveau (Duelist1954) has a few good LeMat videos on YouTube that are worth watching.
Yep, Bottom Dealin' Mike does good work! Good vids, looking for more input on Lemats.

Really?
You're actually asking members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun?
And a Lemat?
Is there any cooler old shootin' iron that a Lemat?
No doubt if I could afford it, I'd have one.

I had a friend who just "HAD" to have a LeMat when they first started to be reproduced. A bunch of us all shot N-SSA and he always had to have the "oddball" stuff. I don't remember just what model he had but it was a neat and different revolver. He shot it a few times and then tired of it. If you haven't handled one - do so before yo buy one. It is a heavy revolver and if you decide to carry it on your belt, wear suspenders! :-)

Thanks Model12Win. Didn't know that and when I think about it, you're right. The hammer is substantially lower for the shotgun barrel than it is for the cylinders of the revolver.

When I looked at them, I was told that they shaved lead quite a bit. Don't know if that is true. Also, I recall there was someone who did a 38 SPL cylinder conversion for them.

Last, here's an interesting page on the Johnny Ringo LeMat. I recall the show. The story had him 'running out' of bullets and the bad guy posturing until he got shotgunned!

http://johnnyringo.net/lemat.htm

If I recollect correctly, I believe ol' J.E.B. Stuart hisself used a LeMat in his exploits... cool guns, indeed.

I owned one a while back and as I recall it was a little underpowered, only allowed for 20g of 3f in the revolver chambers....still, great fun to shoot though.

Very cool. Could 20 grains and a lead ball still be lethal? I assume so, but wonder about penetration. Also wonder what would be the most effective shotgun load, the barrel is so short I wonder if any pellets could penetrate deeply enough to reach vitals.

I have half a mind to get one just to do a bunch of ballistics jelly tests with it, can't find any online.

Glenn E. Meyer - Thank you for the Johnny Ringo web site.

I grew up watching westerns on TV but somehow I missed that one.

I wonder what competed with it on the other channels?

Back