leica rangefinder ??

rg1

Anyone have experience with Leica LRF 800 Rangefinders? I'm wanting a rangefinder and I think this is the one I want.

All of my experiences with Leica/Leitz equipment (R8, M4P, M6, IIIc cameras with appropriate optics; microscopes; binoculars) suggest that they are one of the last remaining no-compromise companies in any business. (Yeah, you can argue about the plastic wind-tip on M cameras made in the last 40 years, but I don't consider that a compromise. ;) )

This is coming from someone who is anal about optics and photography. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the optical quality or the build quality. The price might initiate a divorce, however...
Caveat: I have limited experience with rangefinders, and have never touched a Leica rangefinder.

(Edit: by the way, I was working as a professional photographer until my wife got into medical school. She made me sell the last Leica I bought by the way...)

Excellent optics and very accurate. At 399.00 they are priced very competitively also. There were some early models of the LRF800 that had problems but that seems to have been fixed.
The one I tried was rugged, light weight and the display was easy to read in any light.

I have a Leica and a Bushnell 800. The Leica is nifty package: compact and rubber-armored. On non-reflective things like evergreen trees the Leica will range to 860 meters under ideal conditions. The Bushnell is more ergonomic and is easier to hold still which is critical at long ranges in order to get accurate readings. Of the two, I would buy the Leica. Rob

I have been looking around for a LRF and everyone seems to say the Leica is one of the best. Since I am a bigger is better kinda guy I want the LR1200.

Doing a little research I have found two sites that are cheaper for the 1200 than you have listed for the 800.

www.eurooptic.com

$335 800 delivered
$415 1200 delivered 2 color choices

http://www.aaabinoculars.com/leica_rangefinder_binoculars.html

$304.69 800 plus s/h
$394.69 1200 plus s/h

EDIT [Whoops I didn't realize I was resurrecting a year old thread]

Leica 1200

Since making this post a good while back, I have bought a Leica 1200 and I'm very happy with it. Ranged a water tower at 980 yards, took 3 steps forward and it read 977. Great unit with clear optics. It is hard to hold steady ranging objects at far distances. I highly recommend this unit.

Back