legaly carrying a bug

hightower

i've been digging through the rcw's of washington state but couldn't find a yes or no on wether it was legal to carry a back up gun. just curious because sometimes my girlfriend most concealable carry gun would be in my pocket.

"just curious because sometimes my girlfriend most concealable carry gun would be in my pocket."

Huh? Could you rephrase that?

As for actually carrying a back up gun, if you have a permit issued to carry a concealed handgun in the first place, my guess would be it would cover as many handguns as you wanted to carry.

I know in Virginia there's no issue with carrying a second, third, fourth, or tenth gun.

This cam up in Ohio. The law specifically says "a" handgun or something to that effect. I know many carry bugs and I have not heard of anyone having trouble yet. I know some places there are limits, but I am not aware of any in the US.

Huh? Could you rephrase that?
as you may know the current womens fashions don't lend themselves to well to hiding her .38. There fore if we go out for a dinner or shopping or such, i carry my gun, but she won't be able to conceal and there for i get to carry the .38 as well. i have seen a member of another forum post to the effect it was not legal, but never found anything to substantiate it.

There is nothing in RCW that prohibits you from carrying more than one gun.

In fact read "the back" of your WA CPL, if you have folded yours like mine:
"The person described hereon is licensed to carry concealed pistols as described by law until the expiration date shown above."

My solution would be for her to learn how to carry her firearm regardless of her dress, evenly openly or partially open if need be.

as you may know the current womens fashions don't lend themselves to well to hiding her .38. There fore if we go out for a dinner or shopping or such, i carry my gun, but she won't be able to conceal and there for i get to carry the .38 as well. i have seen a member of another forum post to the effect it was not legal, but never found anything to substantiate it.
My solution would be for her to learn how to carry her firearm regardless of her dress, evenly openly or partially open if need be.
You could also look into a holster purse, not the best option, but it is an option.

purses are out, for all the down falls of off body carry. plus coach doesn't make one. :D
and she thinks thigh holsters are for cheesy spy movies.
i'd be carrying in my primary rig with easy access, but on the off chance a whole lot of s hits a really big fan, i can get it out and hand it off, plus in my pockets a snub and a couple speedloaders aren't a big deal.

this is basically for a nicer dressed occasion when we'd be together.

although i just picked up a kahr mk9 that she's taken a liking to, any ideas on carry rigs besides in or on a waistband and not a smart carry. i'm thinking a belly band, they work great for me with gym shorts. any other ideas?

Last edited:
OK, I just didn't quite understand who would be carrying whose gun, when.

"she thinks thigh holsters are for cheesy spy movies."

You have GOT to rent a cheesy cop movie called Vice Squad.

VERY effective use of a thigh holster/snappy beautiful female cop anchor line.

Terrible move, actually.

OK, that's off topic.

Anyway, I can't find anything indicating that carrying two guns is not permitted by any CCW law in the country.

Just for gawd sakes if she doesn't have a ccw, or permit or whatever your silly state requires, it's your backup and not her gun comprende. You could have probs if the gun is "registered" to her or has pink grips or something to lead people to think you are acting as her human holster.

you are like the dude holding the purse in the department store, except your purse is a gun:D

I am new at certain lingo terms, but when the OP said , is it legal to carry a "BUG", the first thing I thought was some type of wire for recording audio....then I read on and figured out that BUG meant BACK-UP-GUN, this is the first I've ever heard the word BUG being used to describe a Back-Up-Gun, well now I know. :)

Depending on your girlfriends figure,how about a neck holster?Google "neck holster",there are several being marketed.Or perhaps a 5.11 V-neck holster shirt?...

If BUG means back up gun. Then what does she carry as her primary weapon that she cant' hide a back up gun somewhere? I have seen a lanyard type holster for a NAA derringer.

IIRC, in at least one jurisdiction, carrying a BUG has been ruled illegal because the permit specifies carrying a concealed firearm. :eek:

OTOH, I've never heard of anyone being arrested, much less prosecuted, for carrying too many guns! ;)

The correct answer is that it varies between each State, and those State laws, and even between various State Municipalities, if the State does not have pre-emption laws in place.

Know the laws under which you permit operates.

Back