Legality of open-carry handgun while hunting

cuteo100

Hi,

I am a new hunter and getting ready for my 1st hunt this coming Nov. in Florida. I will be using a Remington 700 chambered .280Rem with a Leupold scope out looking for deers and wild hogs. However, I will love to be able to carry my .45ACP handgun (H&K USPt) as my sidearm just because...! Is it legal to open-cary during hunting season in the state's Wildlife Management Area, or leased hunting land, for that matter.

If it makes any difference, I do have valid FL hunting, WMA, and CCW permits.

Thanks!

Carrying without a Permit/License
Date updated: Aug 6, 2005 @ 7:53 pm

790.25 (5)(5) Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons

POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012. You can go here if you want to look into it further.

Also:
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—
(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

http://www.packing.org

Yes you can open carry while hunting, fishing or camping>

Also check the FLDE web site for additional info. Section 790. is the gun law

Better check the hunting regs too. I know that TX mentions CCW in their hunting regs.....for instance, if you have your CHL, you can have your CCW with you even in bow-only season, but without your CHL, you can't. If I remember correctly, anyway.

First check Florida's hunting regulations. I'm in Tennessee, and it is generally not legal to carry a handgun in a WMA unless the WMA is open to rifle hunting. Handguns (non-black powder) are not legal carry during archery season or black powder. OR If legal, I would carry un-concealed. You may be restricted to the same caliber restrictions for hunting deer with a handgun. (ie 357 or larger or something like that).

You should be able to carry as long as there are no restrictions in the hunting regs about it. Hopefully, they will be along the lines of Idaho's regs (you can carry anything you want as long as you only use the applicable weapon for the species and season. I could pack a firearm for an archery hunt, but I could not shoot a deer with it).

Back