legality of giant suppressor

Is is legal to build a giant suppressor that is stationary? The idea is for a back yard range where I wouldn't want to upset the neighbors. I would shoot through a steel pipe that is 18 inces in diameter or so. It would be built similarly to a suppressor. I hope this is making sense maybe I can draw it up on CAD if you all would like more detail. Also do you think it would work?
Thanks,
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum!

It is legal to build a shooting range that has sound absorbing/reducing/cancelling properties built into it. It is possible to build a range like that and you can probably find plans online.

You're not going to get in trouble until you start making portable sound reducing devices that can be attached to firearms.

I don't know how you would build an 18" tube suppressor that is stationary that you could aim through given that suppressors are composed of chambers separated by baffles through which a hole pierces each baffle. The bullet travels through the holes.

Even if you could aim, you would have to have the firearm somehow attached for it to be effective. Otherwise, you are going to still have a lot of sound, some of it may be more directional, but still a lot.

I've seen a daisy chain of used tires for this kind of sound reducer. It's probably not going to be near as effective as a mounted suppressor, but it will help some.

I am not expecting it to totally silence the bang, I just want to minimize it. The tires stacked together sounds like a good Idea. It has to be alot less expensive. Does anybody have first hand experience using that set up?
Thank you,
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

si vis pacem, para b

Yes, Many years ago the Stevens Creek range was being impacted by encroaching residential development. Tire baffles were introduced on the rifle range and were effective at dampening the SPL of the firing line. I found it a little odd and distracting firing thru 8 tires. It did not seem to in any way effect projectile flight path. It did create a very different sound while at the firing position.

Good Luck & Be Safe

I should mention that I saw a PICTURE of the tire setup. I have no idea exactly how effective it was, but the author said it got his neighbors to stop complaining. I would use the word "dampener" to describe this setup. The word "suppressor" tends to invite unwanted attention.

It might be cheaper to just pay the tax and have a smith thread and attach a can suppressor.

I remember reading awhile back about one of those used tire setups.

Seemed a mouse/rat/vermin decided to build a nest inside one of the tires.
At some point the muzzle flash/sparks/etc of shooting caught the tires on fire.
Hilarity ensued.:D

Riding my bicycle in state park came upon a small shooting range with four stations made from galvanized steel culvert probably 5 ft in diameter and maybe 10 ft long. There were a couple of guys shooting but I didn't hear them till I was right on them.
Had to try it out with my .22 short. Shouldn't have since I had no ear plugs. Rang my ears for a while. The tubes were big enough that it wasn't distracting to shoot through. It was kind if like an indoor shooting booth outdoors.

You're not going to get in trouble until you start making portable sound reducing devices that can be attached to firearms.

No trouble at all. Just pay the tax before making an attachable silencer.

Ranb

Back