Legalities on buying out of state?

Redneck_Riot

hey all I am thinking of buying a rifle from an out of state dealer to save the washington state sales tax! I do know that I will have to use a local FFL dealer to complete the transfer, my question is if I buy the rifle in Oregon do I still have to pay washington sales tax to transfer ? new to the whole buying out of state experience, would greatly appreciate any advice thanks-

Redneck_Riot said:
hey all I am thinking of buying a rifle from an out of state dealer to save the washington state sales tax! I do know that I will have to use a local FFL dealer to complete the transfer, my question is if I buy the rifle in Oregon do I still have to pay washington sales tax to transfer ? new to the whole buying out of state experience, would greatly appreciate any advice thanks-

Unless there is something in either Washington or Oregon law that does not allow it, you can purchase the rifle from an Oregon dealer and take delivery immediately after the NICS check. Federal law allows you to purchase a rifle or shotgun from a dealer in any state and take immediate delivery as long as it is legal in both the state in which you are purchasing the firearm and in Oregon (your home state).

You might still have to pay the sales tax. It depends on the state tax laws, but in some states you have to pay sales tax on items purchased out of state, that will be used in the state. On my state tax forms there is a place to total all of my out of state purchases. Large ticket items have to be listed. Since I don't buy much out of state, I just use simple total that the state will be happy with.

If you have the rifle shipped from the Oregon Dealer, it will have to go to a Washington FFL Dealer where the NICS check will be handled. At that point, you may have to pay the Washington sales tax, but I'm not sure about this as I don't know Washington laws. In Michigan, no sales tax is collected at the NICS check point for the out of state purchase.

Martyn

Back