legal to build or put together a automatic ar-15 in florida

Hi all i am very new to this and figured i can get some great advice from you guys. I was told that i can purchase a full auto upper receiver and attach it to an existing lower as long as i get the tax stamp first?!? i was wondering if that is true. I have seen full auto uppers for sale on a few websites and before i got to excited i wanted to know what the law was. Thanks so much for you help.

You would need to purchase a transferable M-16 that was manufactured prior to May of 1986.
Swapping out uppers is not an issue with NFA weapons.
The only downside is that you will be spending $10,000 and up to get your hands on one.

If you are talking about an upper with a barrel shorter that 16", on a Semi lower........You have to submit a form 1 and pay the $200 to manufacture a semi-auto short barrel rifle.

It has been illegal for civilians to build machine guns since 1986. You can get a stamp to own an existing one but not build one.

The only part in a AR upper that is needed for full auto fire is the bolt carrier. A "full auto upper" will not make a semi auto into a machine gun.

The lower is what serial numbered and controlled by the ATF. The lower contains the full auto fire control parts.

So, belveflowslykh20 if you want a full auto AR15, here is one. http://www.dealernfa.com/209715.html

Exactly what Willie said, but just one word of caution. Most uppers designed specifically for placement on a registered lower receiver (or with an auto sear) are short barreled uppers. If you put them on a standard semi-auto lower receiver, you will be creating an illegal SBR, unless you register it.

Be careful if thinking of buying a registered drop-in auto sear (DIAS). Some were made in a hurry to beat the law and are complete junk that won't last for a full magazine. And when it goes, the MG goes, and getting another costs another $200 and a Form 4.

Jim

Jim, I'm surprised to hear that. I thought the Registered DIAS's were supposed to be pretty durable....even the aluminum ones. There's really not much to go wrong with them.

Back