Legal Removal of Serial No.s on BP handgun?

Griswold

Here's a Question -

Many reenactors, attempting to be more "authentic", remove all the modern import marks from their replica muskets. It's a cottage industry in some places. Can a gunsmith legally MOVE (not remove) a serial No. to a different location on the gun, say under the grips, out of view, (on a cap'n'ball revolver) as opposed to an open space on the frame or the butt of the gun? I want to know.

Last edited:
Guess it depends on your definition of "altered". Might be worth a letter to ATF to ask.

(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has,at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

(h) to receive or possess a firearm having the serial number or other identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered; or

Last time I look, by federal law, a cap & ball doesn't need a serial # at all.

On modern cartridge guns, the serial # can be moved if it must be, like as in a repair.

Tinker2

By federal law, a cap & ball doesn't need a serial # at all...On modern cartridge guns, the serial # can be moved if it must be, like as in a repair.

Well, that's an interesting point, especially with all the cartridge-conversion cylinders now available.:eek: (and not recommended for brass-frame guns.) My cause for moving the SN would b to improve the sheer asthetics of two older (1980's) brass frame Navy-Arms replicas. (One's a Griswold, the other a Spiller & Burr) Im not interested in faking up anything, understand, you, but I know I'll never to be able to afford an original Confederate sidearm, and all the proof marks and modern stamps (BLACK POWDER ONLY/MADE IN ITALY/NAVY ARMS CO., RIDGEFIELD N.J./DO NOT LOOK DOWN MUZZLE WHILE OPERATING FIREARM, etc.) to my eye, really detract from the replicas. If I can't see them, they don't bother me. There's a proof mark on the back of one of the cylinders, invisible when the gun's reassembled. So that one stays. I also plan to stamp "Pie" (for Pietta) in some hidden spot on them somewhere, near the new SN location, (if this turns out to be legally OK) for parts reference in later years.

Avisplz - If they're not altered in PA, they are sold in PA. I've seen a number of them at Gettysburg in shops there. The guns are referred to as "defarbed" if there are no modern marks (save the SN) still remaining.
A fellow in Harpers Ferry, W.VA does work of this sort.

Here's another point of view. When I was actively doing 18th century living history, one of my muskets had a four thousand word "Ruger" warning on the barrel near the breach. I wanted to get rid of the anachronism, so I carefully draw-filed it all off - BUT - I left the serial number, which was more discrete and was down near the stock on the left side. Why? Because I wanted to be able to prove ownership in case of theft and when I crossed the US/Can border. Were there other ways to achieve that goal? Yep, but this was easy so that's where I drew the line.

especially with all the cartridge-conversion cylinders now available
I've wondered how long it will be until some bliss-ninny realizes these are defeating the "spirit" of the law if not the letter of the law and try to get BP replicas classified as "firearms" (or , at least, the conversion cylinders):mad:

Dean

Thanks god the bad guys are too stupid to use a black powder gun and deal with a conversion cylinder.

In my opinion, you can do anything you want with the markings and serial number. It is NOT a firearm. I call it a sporting tool :D

Keep in mind, as soon as you insert the conversion cylinder you have MANUFACTURED a firearm and it has to have a serial number!

Back