legal or not

deadmonkey90

i thought sound suppressors(silencers) were illegal. But in my new special weapons magazine there are 4 advertisements for silencers. and i looked at the web sight and it seems pretty legit.

They're perfectly legal as long as you follow all applicable Federal and state laws, which includes paying a $200 transfer tax to the Feds.

just a word of warning

Is it legal?

It varies from state to state.

Like in Washington you can legally own one with the proper federal "stamp" and paperwork BUT you can't legally shoot it. So, even if it's legal to have it with all the proper paperwork it may not be "legally" legal to shoot it.

Some places you can or need to work around the "system" by "incorporating yourself or an entity." Do a google search to find out more info.

You'll need to do some homework to best find out what is the best way for you and your state/jurisdiction.

"...It varies from State to State..." Yep. The daft part is that some States allow suppressors, but not MG's. Some allow MG's but not supressors. Some allow both and some neither.
Up here, the firearms laws are Federal, period. Then the previous idiot government came up with a really bad set of laws and gave the administration of them to the Provinces. Now the laws are not applied equally across the country.

Silencers in the USA at the Federal level are not now and never have been illegal, just taxed since 1934.

Are silencers legal

Its funny how many people believe that silencers are illegal. While some states prohibit the sale, possession, and/or use of a silencer, they are legal in many states. I have tried to put together a list of which Title II firearms are legal in each state. You can find what you can legally own in your state at http://www.GunTrustLawyer.com/ .

In many states like Florida you can own and use a silencer but not hunt with one. Before buying one, you should see if your intended use is legal.

Silencers in the USA at the Federal level are not now and never have been illegal, just taxed since 1934.

This is misleading. Yes, the Federal government does not outlaw silencers and as long as you do the paperwork and pay the tax, you can own one. However, individual states can and do make ownership of silencers and machine guns illegal. You will not be able to purchase or own a silencer in many states so you need to check you state statutes before you jump into a purchase.

The feds to not ban silencers, but they are excessively controlled by the National Firearms Act of 1934. This law requires that an unlicensed person who makes or buys a silencer (or other title 2 weapon) fill out the ATF form 4 (to buy) or ATF form 1 (to make) and send it in along with form 5330.20 attesting to their US citizenship, finger prints, mug shots, and a check for $200. The ATF form 1 or 4 has to be signed by your local sheriff. If you use a trust or Corp. then the 5330.20, fingerprints, photos and sheriff sig are not required. I have never heard of any person who filled out the forms correctly being denied approval to transfer. The process can be easier than getting a first time driver's license, but more time consuming and sometimes more expensive.

Only 38 states allow unlicensed civilians to own silencers. AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MO, MS, MT, NE, ND, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY allow unlicensed civilians to own silencers. WA bans use. TX and FL (and maybe some others) ban them unless the owner can prove they are registered with the feds. CA, IA, KS, MA, MO, and MI allow dealers and manufacturers (FFL/SOT classes 2 and 3) to own silencers.

Ranb

The laws vary state to state and some of them make no sense! Take for instance CT where i live, ican have a fully auto say M-60 but cant have a select fire M-16!!! Go figure that one out1 :confused::confused:

Back