Legal or not?

haiyter

So my friend who i just met is a field investigator and he told me a story how once he was doing surveillance work on a guy on worker compensation fraud. While staying at his van to video tape him, somehow the guy knew he was being followed, and he was not too happy. The guy called several of his friends from his house and when they arrived, they ambushed my friend while he was in his car. They broke several windows trying to get the door open and in the process of fighting with the guys, he was overpowered, got tied up, and kidnapped. Thankfully nothing happened to him as the company he worked for noticed he didnt report in so they called the police. After an hour or two the police found his car which was not too far from the guys house he was surveillancing. He testified against the guy and the people involved, now they are not only in prison for fraud but also for kidnapping charges.

Now the question, is it legal for him to leave a firearm in his van that is not loaded, magazine with ammo seperate, and in a locked box? He wont be walking around with it as if he has a CWL but what about if he just leaves it in his van in-case a situation such as the one he experienced?

Check your state laws on car carry. But if he has a CCW permit, should be fine.

I'm not sure the relevance of your first paragraph. I'd be more worried about break in and theft. Securing it matters.

We live in CA, a place where if police see's you with a gun, you are automatically a criminal lol. But anyways, ive been reading the california firearm law and heres what i found

Pursuant to Penal Code section 12025, a person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he
or she does any of the following:
• Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control, any pistol,
revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant
any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

What if my friend decides to have a shotgun? since this only applies to handguns, would it be legal then to have a shotgun stored in a locked box?

I found this but dont know about its credibility

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/car-shotgun-weapon-2070009-going-locked

What you describe is a legal way to carry a handgun in a vehicle in California. That said, though, I believe that you must be on your way to or from a shooting range, hunting location, etc. I don't think you are allowed to carry a gun (handgun or long) in your car unless you are going shooting.

Tim

A safer line of work would be better...

Seriously, he is doing something that is inviting a hostile response yet is completely unequipped to deal with such a response.

Back