Legal in CA???

tliebs

Inactive
Probably not, but I'll ask anyway...

Is a S&W Model 29-8 legal to be transfered to a CA FFL from a PA FFL??

Yes, BUT. There are some new CA regs that make the transfer a PITA. Most of the sellers on Gunbroker have either gone to no sales to CA residents or are charging a $50 premium for CA sales.

Roger That!

I was aware of the new rules for FFL's and I can assure everyone that this will be my first and last CA sale.

Thanks to All.

In order to be transferred to a private citizen (except a FTF transfer through an FFL in California) the handgun must be on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/ ). The only Smith & Wesson 29-8 on the list is the one with a 6.5 inch barrel. So other barrel lengths may not be transferred.

Oh, you could legally own a hand gun in CA that was not on their list. I'm quite sure you can get a friend from a free state to buy it for you, and then do a face to face transfer in that state- totally legal. Then when you bring it to CA, you have 60 days to register it. I don't think they will deny you because they didn't drop it off a building. Just make sure you don't get anything with a threaded barrel. They are pretty crazy about that. Didn't you know that threads make .45ACP into a WMD??

At any rate, I'm really not 100% sure rather CA has a ban on bringing in from another state a gun which is not illegal, but not approoved for sale. If they do not, that may be a way to get whatever it is you have your eye on. I for one am counting down days until I get to go back East.

copenhagen said:
Oh, you could legally own a hand gun in CA that was not on their list....
True.

copenhagen said:
I'm quite sure you can get a friend from a free state to buy it for you, and then do a face to face transfer in that state- totally legal.....
NOT true. Under the Brady Law, I can't buy a gun face to face in a state in which I'm not a resident, and the seller can't sell me a gun in his state if I am not a resident of his state. According to the ATF website (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/interstate.htm ), "...Federal firearms licensees are generally prohibited from transferring firearms to persons who do not reside in the State where the licensee's premises are located. 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3). Nonlicensees are generally prohibited from acquiring firearms outside their State of residence or transferring firearms to nonlicensees who reside out-of-State. 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5)." (emphasis added)

If I want to buy a handgun from someone in another state, I must have it sent to an FFL in my state to do the transfer.

Interesting. I did not know you had to be a state resident to buy face to face. I know I have legally purchased guns face to face in South Carolina, but I am a state resident, so that makes sense.

Thanks!!!

Thanks to all for the valuable input. I worked with an FFL in CA to make sure everything was cool. No more CA sales for me... It is a shame really that the law abiding residents have to suffer for the stupidity of others.

Back