Lefty long range rifles - who, where?

I've been looking at getting a Rem 700 PSS for quite a while now, but have been having problems finding any Lefty variants out there. I'm practically at the point where I'm just ready to buy a LH barrel / action assembly and have that tossed in an appropriate stock.

Does anyone know of any places that regularly make Lefty variants? Accuracy Intl? McMillan? Or has a Lefty 700PSS in .308 available?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Remington makes their varmint gun in left hand. I'm guessing it's very similar to the PSS in the way it's built, and identical in performance.

I'd go with their Varminter before the PSS. It's the same action and the stock on the Varminter is also made by HS Precision. However, the stock lacks a swivel stud for a bipod (big deal) and is slimmer in the forearm and pistol grip - making it an easier gun to carry in the field. Yes, the Southpaw Varminter is available in .308.

BTW, Savage also makes a lefty Varminter. I believe that McMillan also does and Winchester does too. Sako makes southpaw guns, but I'm not sure if they're heavy barrels.

Several makers list left hand actions in their literature or catalogues. Actually getting a particular model sometimes proves to be another matter.

For long range shooting, I would expect you are talking about SLOW FIRE, so working a right hand bolt action, left handed shouldn't be a great big problem.

Back when I could hold a sight picture at 600 yards, I used to shoot National Match Course competition with bolt action rifles. The course included RAPID FIRE STAGES at 200 and 300 yards. I shot right hand rifles, Model 70's mostly, off the left shoulder. Never had a problem working the bolt left handed, even in rapid fire, with iron sights.
The 600 yard stage was slow fire, prone position, no problem there, or at longer ranges, at least no problem working the bolt.

Don't forget the KISS principle.

[This message has been edited by alan (edited June 02, 2000).]

Thanks for the info thus far, guys, I'm definately going to check out the Savage and McMillan models ASAP.

Regarding the fast vs. slow - this will be a scoped rifle w/bipod, so while I don't plan on trying a lot of rapid fire, I do plan on training to fire 2 rapid shots at targets. Being forced to break the cheek / stock weld to the point of reaching over and around to work the action is a no-go for me... it sounds like a bad idea at best. I'd rather get a dedicated lefty rifle.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

[This message has been edited by Spark (edited June 08, 2000).]

Back