Lefty Guns

shawn

I understand there was a 1911 made for lefties and a CZ makes/made a pistol for lefties. Walther also made a truly ambi gun (dual mag release).

What do people think of these? Are there any other lefty or ambi-guns out there?

Going to the local gun show this weekend. Want to keep my eye out for something special. General cost info would also help.

Us people in our "right mind" need to be armed too.

S-
Shawn

Randall made the first true left handed 1911s. Known as the "Southpaw", about 485 were made in total of all models. Even the barrel twist was the opposite direction from the regular right handed 1911. They are highly collectable today.

Rocky Mountain Arms also made a few, but they were $1,300 when first made! Don't know how many were made but I think they stopped making them years ago.

Olympic Arms bought the machinery from Randall after Randall closed. They probably made less than 2 dozen before they stopped. A regular slide (Renegade) and shorter 4" slide model was made. Olys are even more scarce than the Randalls.

Olympic Arms sold the machinery to High Standard. I wrote them this year and they said they will be introducing a left handed 1911. BUY ONE! These things tend to be collectable.

CZ 85

The CZ ambi model is a CZ 85B with reversible magazine catch, and slide release and safety levers present on both, rightand left side. Comparing to the original CZ 75, the brass are ejected more "up", instead of "up-right".
If you prefer a decocker over safety, then the new CZ 75 Police (full size, not the compact PCR) have as a option ambi slide release lever (the decocker lever is on the left side only, the mag. release is reversible).

A lot of people (myself included) feel that the 1911s slide release and mag release work better left handed than right handed. That is to say, these two controls are easier to operate for a lefty using the index finger than a righty using the thumb. The only thing needed to make the 1911 into a fine left handed gun is an ambi safety. In my case, I had an ambi safety installed on my Springfield 1911, then I had the right handed control (the control on the left side of the gun) milled down. I did this to reduce the weapon's profile, to better fit in my holster, but it has the added benafit of making the safety difficult to disengage by the right handed population.

So my suggestion: get a 1911, and have an ambi safety installed.

I chose a Heritage Stealth because I found the ambi. safety, located behind the trigger, easy for me to flip off as I drew the gun. It was also the only thing at the gun show where I first held the Stealth in the $250 price range with an ambi. safety. The mag. release is still righty, but that wasn't as much of an issue.

Last week, I picked up a Kel-Tec P-32, which is double-action, so has no safety. The mag release on it is righty.....but I don't find that a problem.

Shawn,

You might also consider a Glock or a Sig, depending upon your personal preferences. I'm a lefty and have both. the Glock's are pretty much ambi, since there is no external safety to even worry about. I use my index (trigger) finger to operate the mag release. Do the same with my Sig's as well. Can operate both the mag release and decocker with my left index finger. I personally don't consider either of these brands to be a problem for a lefty. Just remembered - I also have a Ruger P89. That does have ambi controls. Hope that helps.

I'm a lefty and tried a few different "regular" guns for carry and defense. The Ruger P-95 is pretty reliable and accurate with ambi decocker levers and mag release buttons. But I like the Glocks the best so far. The mag button I operate with my left index finger. Both Ruger and Glocks I have to release the slide by grabbing the slide directly.

I am left handed and have no problems with Glocks, Beretta's or Smiths Ambi Decockers. The best left gun I own is the Walther P-5. This is really a left handed gun and I just love the thing, even though it's a nine round gun, I don't care it's a super shooting gun. Sig's are hard because of the slide release location and forget about 1911's, browning hi-powers, these are really right handed guns.

USP's with the ambidextrious or left handed safety/control lever work well. I have one with the ambidextrious lever and I have no problems manipulating the controls. The mag release is ambi as well. Only the slide release is on the left side, but I use my index finger for that.

And of course the P7 works well. Can't get more ambidextrious than that.

In my opinion, everyone should want ambidextrious controls on a self defense pistol. You never know when you may only have one hand to work with. Heaven forbid you can't use the controls with that hand.

Shawn,

Beretta's are very friendly to lefties. I have the 8045 and 92FS. Both of these pistols allowed me to convert the mag release to the right. However, I switched it back because I found it actually slowed down my reloading. In many ways, I think pistols were made for lefties. I find it very easy to activate the slide or mag release with my trigger finger which has the added benefit of making sure your finger is off the trigger. I have no problem using a 1911, SIG, Beretta, S&W or Hi-Power/CZ style pistols. Glock's are the exception because they are a little more difficult to activate because of the size of the slide release but I can still do it. Like I said, they all seem made for lefties. Revolvers however.......

Miles

What Don said! When I practice left handed with my 1911s, I can usually work the mag release and slide release much easier with the left hand. I have ambi safeties already on my 1911s. Except for the non ambi thumb safety, the standard 1911 is really a left-hander's gun.

Back