Lefty advice: Winchester 70 stocks with righty cheekpiece?

WestOfPecos

Inactive
I am a southpaw, and have always shot right-handed bolts with straight stocks (Ruger M77, Win 70, Browning, CZ etc.) left-handed.

I am now looking to purchase a Winchester 70 rifle. In my combination of options, all the stocks I can find have a righty cheekpiece. I am looking specifically at Ultimate Weather SS and Ultimate Shadow models (I'd rather have a wood stock, but I need a stainless action), both of which have a righty cheekpiece.

I don't have experience with such stocks. I can see that some such stocks can be a problem for lefties, particularly if (1) they have a cast and (2) if the cheekpiece is large.

Lefties: have you shot a righty Ultimate Weather or Ultimate Shadow stock left-handed? What do you think? Did the cheekpiece stock hamper you?

Thanks in advance for the opinions. I am reluctant to purchase without hearing first-hand feedback on these stocks from lefties shooting left-handed.

Lefties of the world unite!

Last edited:
FYI - I purchased a Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow stainless with a 24" barrel in 30-06, along with a straight M70 walnut super grade stock (new Winchester featherweight stock) that I will inlet to fit the larger profile barrel. Winchester tech support tells me it is a commonly done modification.

The walnut stock is beautiful. The combination cost me about $200 less to purchase than a new M70 super grade, but I will probably spend that for stock work I don't think I can do myself. The outcome, however, will be an M70 super grade rifle with a stainless action and barrel.

So I think that is a good solution for lefties. I'll report on the results this winter if I remember to do so.

I too am left handed. I look for straight stock (for the lack of a better term) with no right handed cheek rest. Here's my Winchester M70 300 Win Mag w/ factory straight stock:

10574418924_2cfc4348bb.jpg

I usually restock to get rid of the cheek piece, but I always try to buy a left hand action whenever possible.

Most do not know that it is actually dangerous in some instances for a lefty to shoot a right handed action.

The manufacturer will design the action so that the gas vents are on the off side to the shooter.

That means we have the vent hole in our face. What would happen during a failure and the action vents?

Ever think about it?

Winchester made a limited run of LH rifles some years ago. If I were you I'd look on gunbroker and gunsamerica for a while and see if you could just buy the rifle you want before you compromise.

I have made a few LH rifles for friends and family members in years past. These days I only do custom muzzleloaders. But if I were to want to make a high grade LH bolt action for anyone today and if I could not find a LH Winchester, I'd simply use a Ruger M77 Mkll LH action and stock it to the customers wishes.
If you go to Richards Microfit you can find a stock for almost any requirement. Many styles and many options as to kind of wood, grade of wood and laminates too.

My brother has shot right handed bolt guns lefty for close to 40 years. As long as it has no cheekpiece he is just fine with it. He has tried all other options including hunting with a pump, lever and even bought a left handed Ruger for a while. Part of the problem is that while a few bolt guns are made for lefty's, the calibers and other options are limited and none he really liked. He finally just learned how to operate a bolt gun from the other side. He is faster shooting lefty than most right handed shooters.

Have a backwards M70A stock on my Cooey .243. Doesn't make the least bit if difference.
The Ultimate line is their Extreme line now. Ultimate Weathers and Shadows aren't made any more. They're still M70's though. In any case, the nice people at Boyd's will sell you a stock without the Monte Carlo cheek rest for $129.

Back