Lefties and Bolt Action Rifles

PATB

Inactive
For you lefties out there, are there any special tricks in using a right handed bolt action? I know there are left-handed versions available but I am considering the purchase of a scout-type rifle and want to get the standard, i.e. right handed, version (too cheap to pay extra). Does anybody know if left handed Marine corps snipers are issued right handed sniper rifles?

I just purchased an AR-15 and found it to be left-handed friendly. I was wondering if the same is true with bolt actions. Any info is appreciated.

When shooting bolts I usually leave the weapon shouldered and throw the bolt with my off-hand while using the trigger hand to hold the weapon up (leaving hand in firing position).

Southpaw offhand shooting technique with a right handed bolt action rifle:

First, shoulder it as you would normally do if it was a left hand rifle.

When you fire, using the left hand, reach over and using the pinky finger, lift the bolt and pull it rearwards. To close, use the knife edge of the palm (right below pinky) to push the action close and down. Return the left hand to the pistol grip.

My brother taught me this technique years ago and later on, when I picked up a book by Crossman, his pictures demonstrate the same technique.

Like myself, fal308 is also a southpaw and his technique works great when your shooting from a bench position (or rifle is supported by a bipod). It's fast and easy.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

When I was about 16 years old and I first started deer hunting ,my father loaned me his German made Weatherby in .257. I am right handed and he is a south paw. Needless to say the rifle was also for a lefty. I use exactly the same technic 4V50 Gary uses. I on a few occasions had to make a quick follow up shot and had no problem doing so. I even once took two bucks with three shots in very short order. I still have this rifle and rarely use it as I have enough to use that are righty. The bottom line, I think is to practice with what you are going to use. Practice often and enjoy yourself. That is the most important thing. Good hunting to all this season. FranzTMG

Back