Lefthanded bolt gun on a budget?

Husqvarna

Lefthanded bolt gun on a budget? + added scope question!

Lefthanded bolt gun on a budget

My criterias

1. Obviously lefthanded bolt action avaible
2. calibre 308
3. irons sights standard
4. Light and somewhat short
5. Smooth and fast action
6. preferably synthetic stock

I am not after a long range gun really but mostly a pig gun.

So far I have only felt up the TIKKA t3 lite, but it is on the expensive side and the browning x-bolt which felt very sluggish

How does the rem700 stack up? better then the browning but as good as the tikka?

Savage?
Howa?
Ruger hawkeye or variants?

the ruger scout seems to be what I need/want but seems like the lefthanded export version (regular is too short for our laws) isn't exported ):

really like the idea of scout mounted scopes in general, how much work would this require on other rifles that aren't the ruger?

How much would semiauto ejecting bother me? because I can find some used ones available at decent prices, downside is that garands, m14 etc etc are out of the question because they are military rifles:mad:

Oh I need a .22 to for plinking:) probably get a semi-auto but i'd really like a lefthanded bolt .22 to

edit re scout scope mount
would a BSA Edge Pistol Scope 2-7x 28mm Duplex Reticle Matte work?
http://www.midway.se/epages/MidwaySverige.sf/sv_SE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/MidwaySverige/Products/989138

i am thinking about doing a budget savage axis scout?

what does paralex set for 50 yards mean? this is to be my prime hog gun, short distance in the thick

how would I mount it? what type of rings and whatnot would I use?

Last edited:
and weatherby vanguard that comes in such a great pack with scope, box and sling, and they promise sub moa at 100 yards don't offer LH:mad:

really like the idea of scout mounted scopes in general, how much work would this require on other rifles that aren't the ruger?

Call Savage and ask them what a left-handed Scout would cost? Many people don't know that Savage will build just about anything you can ask for as their rifles are fairly modular.

Ruger, of course, builds a left-handed Scout, but it doesn't have a synthetic stock.

I just get depressed when I check out the US manufacturers and or retailers

with our VAT and import costs and whatnot it seems like we pay 5x what you guys do

363us dollars for a savage axis:eek:

how is the action on the savage?

fluted barrel?
the SA website claims it to be silky smooth, is that correct?

Last edited:
The Savage would be my choice, and was. I own a lefty 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. The action is clunky at first but really smooths out very nicely with just a little use.

Being a LH shooter,I have 5 LH Savage's-22WMR,223,25/06,308,and 300WM.
I love those Savage's.I have plenty of other MFG's rifles that are RH'ed,but I prefer to shoot the Savage's mainly.

When new,the actions/bolts are a little rough.But they really smooth out after you use them for a while without doing any work on them.
I also have several other caliber barrels for the Savage's,and it only takes a few minutes to change out the barrels/calibers for different hunting/shooting situations.

Tikka's are very nice rifles,but I don't care for their synthetic stocks or the high priced plastic magazines.

I can't tell you guys how happy i am for the responses re savage.

I have had such a hard time justifying a 2000 dollar rifle like the tikka.

And as a lh rifle any rifle is a good investment

I have had such a hard time justifying a 2000 dollar rifle like the tikka.

Where do you live? Tikka's are $500-$600 here.

I know of no one who makes a factory rifle exactly as you want. My advice is to buy one close to what you want, live with it as is, or have it modified later.

Not many options in left hand with irons. Having a gunsmith add irons later would likely be less expensive than finding a gun with factory irons.

Ruger makes some left handed guns, but most, of not all are walnut stocked.

I,m in Sweden, you,d think being next to Finland would make it cheap but no:mad: everything in general is more expensive here

The hard part of your list is the requirement for iron sights. VERY few models come with iron sights these days. Even fewer are iron-sighted that are left handed.

Yeah I noticed that,

I am probably set on the savage now

the savage .22 markII has got irons as standard so that will quench my irons thirst

Back