Left Handed

I just bought my first S&W revolver a 686 plus 3" 357 in magnum. I desperately need a great "LEFT HANDED"holster for concealement as I live in Florida.

1- Is there a decent one one for in the waist?

2- Is there a decent one for general all around carry?

all comments & suggestions are welcome as always.

Nothing special about left hand holsters; everybody makes 'em. You want a "great" holster but didn't state a price range. Makes it difficult to advise. Uncle Mikes is the opposite of great. El Paso Saddlery is very good as is Simply Rugged, Lobo Leather and many others. Milt Sparks and Rosen are great along with a few others.

One thing to think about is that the 686 is a chunky piece. I know as I often carry a 2 1/2". You'll want a well built, very good to great holster. Mine is a custom pancake made by a local Border Patrolman. Cost $150 and it's worth it. You absolutely need a very good to great belt.

I’m a lefty and finding a holster style I like can be a pain(especially for out of production guns ).

for an IWB my favorite is a leather Blackhawk CQC, OWB triple K has most of their line in left hand and they’re reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc The link to El Paso Saddlery is a good one. They make a high quality product. For the quality of the work their prices are very reasonable. Their belts are highly regarded as well.

"...Uncle Mikes is the opposite of great..." That's not exactly true. Uncle Mike's stuff is cheap, functional and light weight. Only issue with their revolver holster is the ballistic nylon goes flat when the revolver isn't in it. Hard to re-holster with one hand. Their shoulder holster is great. About $40 vs $200 or $300 from El Paso.
36 ounces is nothing. Heavy for a 3" revolver though. Anyway, decide on your budget first as always.

"...Uncle Mikes is the opposite of great..." That's not exactly true.
Nope, wrong again T. They're loose shapeless bags.

Their shoulder holster is great.
No it's not; an Andrews shoulder holster is great.

$200 or $300 from El Paso.
You'll have to show me one of these. Most EPS holsters are in the $80 to $120 range.

36 ounces is nothing. Heavy for a 3" revolver though.
That's my point. I carried Colt and USGI Governments for nearly 40 years and, while heavy, the weight is distributed quite differently due to the length and slimness of the 1911. A short, fat revolver tends to lean away from the body and requires a good belt and holster.

Anyway, decide on your budget first as always.
Hmmm. While an UM holster is a better than nothing option for those with limited means, I suppose someone who has bought a +/- $600 pistol can pony up the $70 that a Lobo Leather pancake costs.

I stand by my original post.

IWB

Look at Alien Gear holsters. I find them quite reasonable and their IWB holster easily converts to OWB.
They give excellent support as well.

Thanks everyone for all of your help & expert opinions. I bought a LOBO
Enhanced Pancake Holster in black for my S&W.
Spoke to the owner's wife Alethea Fedders. Between she & my wife, they put together all of the details & additions. It will be here in about 6 weeks. Just in time for Valentines Day.

I like the Safariland 568.
There used to be a 567 with a slotted backing plate, and 568 with paddle, but Safariland apparently now combines the two, giving the option of belt slots or paddle, under the 568 number.

The holster has multiple adjustments for fit and retention, it's suede-lined - not good in dusty environments if you like your gun's finish - and while the exterior is made from tough synthetic materials, it looks more like a traditional holster than do one-piece, molded or folded holsters.

Back