left-handed threads on suppressor-ready barrels

Does anybody know which advantage a left-handed thread compared to the usual clockwise-closing ones brings? :confused:
The barrel torques the opposite direction of the rifling. i.e. a RH twist barrel will rotate the gun counter-clockwise (viewed from the breach) when fired. If the threads are LH it will tend to tighten the suppressor rather than loosening it if it was threaded RH.

I don't know about threaded barrel center fire pistols. I haven't paid any attention. My Ruger 22/45s, one Lightweight and one Tactical are threaded RH.

A lot of European guns have LH threads, and are metric based as well. Go figure. If i move one of my cans between host, i often have to change the thread adaptor to match the gun. The can on my M&P wont thread on my Sig. or my Glock. The can on my Glock21 wont go on my 1911.

I keep a can on the M&P and one on the Glock19. If i want to shoot somehing else suppressed, into the “Box of parts” and swap adaptors.

Last edited:
My Glock 19, which is a factory threaded version (Not an aftermarket bbl) and stamped “made in Austria” is threaded 13mm LH.

I know some after Market bbls are threaded 1/2x28 RH.

Back