Left handed - shooting right of center

Greg in OKLA

I have a Springfield XD9 service model.At the range last night ,I did OK with the first box of ammo,then started hitting right of center.I did a search for
the "diag "target,and it says too little trigger finger.I am not sure what this means,could some one help me out on ehat this is?

Thanks

Greg

When shooting a SA style auto, the center of the fingertip pad should be on the center of the trigger. In your case, the fingertip pad is probably 1/8" to 1/4" too far left (not centered enough). This in turn "pushes" the gun right as you squeeze. If you were "pulling" your shots left, that would mean the trigger's centerline is too close to the first finger joint -- meaning you were "pulling" the gun left as you squeezed.

Confused yet? :p

I've not fired an XD, but if it has a trigger anything like the Glock, I've found that slowly squeezing the trigger like you would target-shooting a 1911 or a SA revolver is more difficult. For a Glock, I align the sights and the trigger movement is, in my mind, about like trying to mash a grape with my fingertip. Not subtle but not jerky either. Of course, now I know you're confused! :D

The explanation is in a literal sense, . . . just exactly what it says.

Try to think in terms of your whole left index finger as being a finger of 100% in quantity.

The length from the very tip to the first joint would be the first 33%, . . . from the first joint to the second joint would be 34 to 66%, . . . and from the second joint to the knuckle would be 67% to 100%.

Everyone who shoots, uses their trigger finger somewhere in that first 33%. If you are left handed and are shooting to the right, you may only have 15% of your finger into the trigger guard. Try putting more finger in there, . . . say 20%. Still shooting right? Put more finger in there, . . . say 30%.

When you find where you are beginning to shoot to the left, . . . you have too much finger in there, . . . back out some of it.

What BillCA said: "When shooting a SA style auto, the center of the fingertip pad should be on the center of the trigger," is generally a correct statement for most shooters, . . . especially if they are shooting targets, one handed, such as NRA competition, etc. I am one of those people, . . . definitely just the pad for one handed X ring shooting.

On the other hand, . . . if I am shooting rapid fire, . . . or point and shoot type exercises: I can only shoot accurately if my first joint is dead square in the middle of that 1911 trigger. In other words, 33% of my finger is sticking out of the trigger guard.

Work with it, . . . try some dry firing exercises, . . . you will be amazed at how much difference just a little adjustment makes.

May God bless,
Dwight

I always shoot right. Even with sights pushed to adjust, I still seem to hit right. consistently. Good/Better groups, but always right and sometimes low.

You mentioned a diagnostic target - or something like that. Anybody know where can I find that info?

Thanks,

Matt

This subject is popping up a lot on the various forums. I'm working through a similar problem, as well.

Finger placement is important, but you still need to practice to achieve a straight press on the trigger. There is a tendency to push or pull the trigger when shooting, and this throws your shot off. You must conciously work on eliminating any sidewise motion as you press the trigger. This is best done during slow fire, one careful shot at a time, on paper, so you can see and correct any errors (think bullseye shooting).

There is no quick way to correct your problem. Use a .22 (for economy) and be patient with yourself. Above all, resist the temptation to speed up. That can destroy the progress made. I've been working on this for weeks now, and am slowly seeing my groups improve.

Back