Left handed Semi-auto 12 or 20 gauge...

Hello all,

I'm sure this question has popped up here before, but this is a HUGE forum.

I tried a few searches and such but I figured getting the current pulse on the matter would be good.

Here's the story, I haven't shot anything in a long time, not since I got out of the Navy many years ago, and even then it was mostly shot glasses.

Nevertheless, I had the basics down, some good books by Ayoob & Jeff Cooper, and will get back to it. Have a range about 40 minutes from the house that is suitable for everything pistols, small/large bore, and shotgun, as well as instructors on staff who will school me and my wife on the basics and such.

(I will also be purchasing a lever action in .357/38 for general plinking fun in order to get back to the basics of marksmanship)

I'm a NYC resident... We don't need to debate those particulars, I know what the limitations are, I'm certainly not a supporter of the SAFE Act and such, but I just wanted to get that out of the way. Fact of the matter is I'm buying a shotgun & lever action, our permits are imminent, and me & the wife will be using them.

We're both left handed. I'm extremely left handed and my left eye is my dominant eye. I used to have a few lefty bolt actions way back when (BDL 700...). I had an AK for a spell, gave it too my brother, was a fun, especially with the 75 round drum, but I always found working the action a bit awkward being a lefty.

What it comes down to is my choices for a lefty shotty are limited, Benelli and Beretta both make models that I'm interested in. (That's unless of course there's overwhelming information to support that I'll do fine with a right handed gun and some minor modifications, nevertheless, I've always preferred true left handed actions, and instincts are important here.)

I'm not interested in a purely tactical beast. Frankly, I like wood, and I like bluing, and I like iron sights. I'd be fine with a pump action but the wife is better of with semi-auto.

Specifically the Montefeltro and the A400 are the models I'm considering.

I figure I can get either of these, the Benelli or the Beretta, purchase an additional barrel, and cut one of them down for home defense purposes. That, and with a magazine extension, and I can up the magazine capacity to the legal limit here which is seven rounds, and I think I'll have a good home defense weapon. We have a small place, and a good alarm system, but God forbid if that day should ever come...shooting distances will be under 20 feet.

I think I can cover all grounds with either of these weapons, meaning the practicality of home defense, as well as having a longer barrel for pleasure shooting, skeet and the like. Something we've both done, and wouldn't mind having a bit of fun with that again. I don't see myself ever hunting again, it's been a long time and I can purchase excellent game at my local butchers, so shooting will be mostly recreational for us.

I'm on the fence about 12 versus 20 gauge. Essentially a two pound difference in the weight of the weapon, and I really enjoy something that's light and handy, and although the wife has shot a 12 before I think she'd probably appreciate the 20 considering her stature versus mine.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Be well.

12 or 20 ga

When you say "recreational" shooting, no competitive Trap, Skeet etc, just fun stuff correct? If so, you may want to consider "TriStar" shotguns. Their Viper G2 series are mighty nice, less expensive and get very good reviews. I believe they offer left hand choices also. They have "youth" models that will probably fit your wife. Something to look at. They have 12ga and 20ga. 28ga too, if I recall. Hope this helps.

I'm also left handed / left eye shooter. I don't own either of the shotguns you mention but would go with the Benelli as I've drooled over them for years.

That being said, I currently own 3 Remington 870 12 gauge pump shotguns. To activate the safety I just roll my wrist over the top of the stock and use my thumb or index finger depending if I want to activate or de-activate the safety. I've previously owned 2 Mossberg 500's. Both have broken on me.

Regarding AK47's, I find them to be 1 of the most left handed friendly rifles out there. as you can keep your shooting hand on the pistol grip while working the action, safety, and change mags with your off / right hand.

I like your choice of a 357/38 lever action and own a Rossi 92 in that caliber. It is by far one of most favorite guns to shoot. Using a starting powder load for a 158gr 38spl - it is suppressor quiet (mouse fart) gun to shoot.

Being that you live where you do, down the line, you might look into a Ruger Mini-14 and / or Springfield M1A. Both are Left Hander friendly guns.

Other than a Benelli Ultralight in 28 gauge I have no use for an inertia gun. I do not like plastic stocks, especially two piece recoil absorbing stocks ( I did not say they don't work), so that eliminates the rest because of recoil.
You can get left handed safeties for the Remingtons, but they have also made true mirror image left handed guns which I would prefer were I a lefty. I have shot left handed guns as a righty and I did not like the shells in front of my face, but it may not faze you.
I am a gas semi auto and a Remington fan, but I would rate the Berettas a close second. The only thing that aggravates me is their marketing philosophy of always having to have something new and improved, because some of their "Improvements" have not been. I think they peaked with the 390. :) There is no question the marketing works with those who just have to have the latest thing always.
Beretta and Benelli extra barrels are outrageous in my opinion.

"...extremely left handed..." That mean you can do nothing with both hands? Been shooting everything from .22's to 7.62NATO battle rifles, including SMG's and LMG's, left handed with no fuss for eons.
However, Remington makes 1100's and Versa Max left. Not as many options for barrels. Usually special order things. Remchoked too.

I think I can cover all grounds with either of these weapons, meaning the practicality of home defense, as well as having a longer barrel for pleasure shooting, skeet and the like. Something we've both done, and wouldn't mind having a bit of fun with that again. I don't see myself ever hunting again, it's been a long time and I can purchase excellent game at my local butchers, so shooting will be mostly recreational for us.

I'm on the fence about 12 versus 20 gauge. Essentially a two pound difference in the weight of the weapon, and I really enjoy something that's light and handy, and although the wife has shot a 12 before I think she'd probably appreciate the 20 considering her stature versus mine.

(I am LH and shoot RH semis - no problem, since both of you WILL be wearing eye protection, correct?

For all of the purposes mentioned, you will want the heavier gun in 12 gauge. Ammo is plentiful, and the 12 has a much wider variety from HD to target loads. The extra weight helps absorb recoil, something your wife might appreciate. That said, unless you both are the same size, the stock that fits one person will NOT be correct for the other. Light and handy shotguns are for hunting in the field where shots are few and walks are long.

While the Beretta A400 series are well made, they can be pricier than their alternative, the Beretta A300 series. That comes down to your budget. I am unaware of short HD barrels for Beretta semis (someone can correct me on that). That said, IF you have a home invasion, your best defense is locked in a room together, muzzle pointing at the door with the other person on the phone to 911. I would imagine in NYC that if you used a shotgun to dispatch a bad guy, it would go over better if it was a hunting gun and not some doodadded-up tactical version.

Benellis make great shotguns - especially for the waterfowl hunting group. I do not care for them for any extended shooting period as I fond them to be on the light side and in dealing with recoil weight (and light loads) is your friend

Semi Auto's are great but...

I own a Browning BPS. Bottom eject, ambidextrous safety. I've found that because of the geometry of the thing there is little or no muzzle rise, and because the action is so incredibly smooth, I really don't give up any useful speed of operation to the semi.

What I did find was that amazingly the gun fit both me and my wife quite well despite almost a foot difference in height. Since that happened I've handed the weapon to multiple females and they have all commented on how much easier it is to hit any type of target with the BPS, as well as that for some reason the recoil is more tolerable. My guess is the design and ergonomics are to blame.

Two points off of this. The right fit for both of you when it comes to ergonomics would be what I looked at first rather than type of action,brand,etc, and before buying anything I would try very hard to find some way to actually shoot the weapon.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'll mull things over a bit and come back with any other questions as necessary. Have a Happy Thanksgiving all!

For a lefty probably the best option is something with a tang or middle of the receiver safety. The empty's coming in front of your face is an issue, but not one that most cannot overcome. A double, either SXS or O/U would be an excellent choice for a lefty.

My brother shoots lefty and has tried most everything. He simply prefers the right handed 870 and has learned to adapt. He uses his middle finger to reach around the back of the trigger guard and is not handicapped in the least after some practice. Most any gun with the safety on the rear of the trigger guard can be used that way. Pump or semi-auto. On most of these guns the safety CAN be reversed. My brother has chosen NOT to do so. If someone else were to pick up his shotgun and not realize the safety worked backwards it could be dangerous.

If pondering 12 vs 20 consider this. With comparable loads a 6 lb 20 ga has exactly the same recoil as a 7 lb 12 ga. You buy a 20 to have a lighter gun to carry around, not necessarily for less recoil. In equal weight guns recoil CAN be less. But there are a much wider range of 12 ga shells available. The lighter 12's duplicate common 20 ga in both performance and recoil.

The empty's coming in front of your face is an issue, but not one that most cannot overcome. A double, either SXS or O/U would be an excellent choice for a lefty.

Most of the semis I have shot, eject the empties forward and to the right, not literally across your face. It happens fast enough, and your focus should be on your target, you'll never notice them, making it really a non-issue.

Back