Left-handed safety, pro or con?

870-04-fun

Inactive
Picked up my first firearm last week - 870 Express Magnum HD. Haven't shot it yet, waiting to take safety/training course etc. Plan on shooting at an outdoor range and HD only. My question is, I shoot left-handed. Scattergun Technologies (now part of Wilson Combat) offers a left-handed safety conversion which they will

"CONVERT TO LEFT HAND SAFETY: Includes: modification of standard trigger group assembly and installation of jumbo head safety." ($40)

Is it worth converting the safety to a left-hander? Thanks for your input.

Most people will tell you not to but I'm a lefty also. If I had an 870 I'd do it to mine. I'm not overly concerned what others think I should do to my weapons as I'll be the one firing and maintaining them. BTW, one of the reasons I own several Mossbergs is because of the tang safety. I've been looking to switch my Benelli M121 over to a left-hand safety.

why on earth didn't you buy a left-handed version of the 870? they make lefty Deer Gun and Wingmaster versions. a helluva lot easier than doing some oddball conversion.

in shotguns, you can get a lefty Remington 870, 1100, and 11-87. I think there's a lefty version of certain Benelli models (the Montenegro, maybe).

in rifles, you can get lefty versions of the Remington model 700, the Savage model 10/110 series, the Browning A-Bolt, and even the Winchester model 70.

guys, they'll stop making lefty guns if you don't buy them. there's a supply only as long as there's a demand.

The reason I haven't bought a left hand weapon is mainly due to economics. I've bought all my shotguns used and there are not many used LH weapons on the market. Besides there is usually a substancial wait time as LH weapons are not normally stocked, even at the distributor level (at least the last time I actually enquired).
I do plan on acquiring an LH Savage later this year or early next year though.

One good reason for not buying a LH 870 is accessories (ie barrels). The real solution is to buy a gun with a tang safety especially if there are RH and LH shooters in the house.

If you are considering a LH Savage, trade the 870 for a Mossberg, that way the safeties all work the same. Yes I believe in the KISS principle.

------------------
When all else fails read the directions!

Back