Left Handed ML ?

Now that I've gotten back to black powder and am hooked, I need some advice. I'm left handed. What are the reasons, advantages and disadvantages of getting a left handed muzzle loader. I've noticed that a number of manufacturers offer this option.

If I find a particular gun that I like that doesn't ofer this option, should I get it anyway?

Thanks for the words of wisdom in advance.

i find that most of the atributes of modern muzzleloaders (and rifles for that matter) revolve around subsequent shots. most times the second shot is not needed and more often not available if it were, esspecialy w/ a ML. get the rifle that fits you. i shoot a ruger 77/50 w/ the straight wrist stock and curved buttplate. i find that the rifle does something by stock design the eats recoil. the felt kick of this rifle w/ 110 gr. under a 295 gr bullet is about that of a very weak 30-30. i highly recoment you look into the ruger.

i find that most of the atributes of modern muzzleloaders (and rifles for that matter) revolve around subsequent shots. most times the second shot is not needed and more often not available if it were, esspecialy w/ a ML. get the rifle that fits you. i shoot a ruger 77/50 w/ the straight wrist stock and curved buttplate. i find that the rifle does something by stock design the eats recoil. the felt kick of this rifle w/ 110 gr. under a 295 gr bullet is about that of a very weak 30-30. i highly recoment you look into the ruger.>>>

I should have mentioned two additional items in my first post. First, I understand the greater efficiency of having the hammer on the opposite side for a lefty. I don't know if there are any safety considerations though. That's where my quesiton lies.

Second is, this gun is strictly for target shooting. Not hunting, so speed is not a concern. I own Ruger pistols and revolvers and they're great. What I'm looking for is purely a fun gun for target shooting.

Whether flintlock or percussion...

It is ideal to keep the lock away from the eye. Given modern eye protection though the concern is probably moot. Being a southpaw, I have a two left handed flintlocks (working on a third) and the majority of my blackpowder guns are right handed. When you concentrate on that front sight, you really don't notice (or care) which side of the stock that lock is on.

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear about. I kinda assumed it was a sight protection thing and also a matter of being less awkward to have the hammer on same side as the rear grip.

Since I always wear hardened lenses, I feel reasonably protected, and I may add a pair of gogles over my regulars, but I'd rather not limit the gun options based on just those that are left handed. :)

Back