Left-handed military rifles

SAWBONES

Lots of "sporting" and hunting rifles can be had in left-handed versions, but does anybody know of any military rifles (in either 5.56 or 7.62mm) other than the Steyr AUG, which have a left-handed version available, or a convertible bolt? Addresses, phone numbers, URLs all helpful if known. Thanks.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

The French FAMAS rifle and carbine are easily converted for use by left handers.

The British considered making a special left-hand only version of the L85A1 bullpup, but decided it would just be easier to force the 'southpaw' 10% of the troops to shoot right-handed.

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited August 04, 1999).]

It sort of depends on what you mean by left handed. The M16 can be operated with either hand, but the empty cases come out to the right, though the deflector keeps them out of the shooter's face (or is supposed to).

The German G41s (M and W) had the bolt handle on the left side, but that was more for applying immediate action without removing the right hand from the firing position; same with the M1918A2 BAR.

Jim

With its bottom ejection feature, I thought the FN P90 was pretty ambidextrious.

I would hazard the guess the first ambidextrious military firearm was the American Hall breechloader of early 19th century fame.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

you can get a left handed receiver for the ar15

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

and here she is:
16.gif

http://www.dpmsinc.com/products/south_p.html

Mine has an 11.5/5.5 barrel. The next one I order is going to be a 20" or 24" stainless bull barrel hi-rider flattop. DPMS is good to work with when ordering non-cataloged items. They will build most any configuration in their catalog in a left hand version.

Thanks guys. I'm looking into the DPMS AR-15, since parts should be (mostly) readily available. Interesting silly idea, to teach left-handed British troops to shoot right-handed instead of providing proper equipment. 12% of the population is left-handed.That should be a big enough fraction of recruits (one of every eight or nine) to justify handedness-specific PDWs, or at least an effective work-around solution (like the brass deflector for the M-16). Our handedness is quite ingrained by adulthood, and is very hard to "train around" or against, and while learning to shoot handguns or long guns "weak handed" is a viable aspect of advanced training, it should only come after shooting with one's dominant side has already become a well-developed skill, instead of being the first/only way one is trained. This may be particularly true for rifles, shotguns, and bows more than handguns. FWIW.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

fal308,

My uncle bought a DPMS hi-ride slickside flattop and I helped him assemble it. The receiver is extruded and is massive. You're on the money in considering putting a bull barrel on it. Anything less would be a shame of that hefty receiver.

Like yourself, I'm thinking of buying a couple more DPMS southpaw uppers. I'd like to get the slickside hiride flatop for a bull barrel and also one of their tri-mount flatops for another 16" barrel. Now, what am I suppose to do with all these left handed ARs?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back