Left handed .223 bolt action

ninosdemente

Looking into getting a left handed bolt action rifle in .223 for my son. Has been asking for one. He is 12 and I have been dragging on it for a bit. Don't have a preference in manufacturer, but have been getting Savage lately. I have checked a couple of sites but non in stock. Not wanting low end not high end, somewhere in the middle. Not looking into scope package as will get a better than entry level scope. Thanks guys for the help.

Last edited:
Where did you get them from, which ones are they and price? If you don't mind if I ask. I have searched and they don't have them in stock. Trying to find where people have gotten theirs online... local shops don't carry them.

If not a Savage I would look into CZ or Browning. CZ makes some fine ones. I am lefty and do not own a single lefty bolt. With a bipod I am faster with a right handed bolt action on follow up shots.

If I were buying for me The CZ is in the $550 to $800 range. The Browning is in the $700 to $800 range.

I have a .223 Rem Savage Model 12 FVSS that is right handed. It shoots sub half MOA with hand loads.

"Where did you get them from, which ones are they and price? "

My information on those questions would not be of any value now. Those rifles were purchased 20 years back.

I have a Savage 223 Axis lefty I purchased in 2015. Special ordered through the local Walmart. $308 at the time for the non-accu trigger/synthetic stock type. I believe there are nice Axis II's w/ the accutrigger now, and also a compact LH version. Buy one and then put it in a nicer stock for him.

Last edited:
What's your budget? He want(keeping in mind that it's his choice not yours.) a heavy barreled varmint rifle or just something that's fun? He want a synthetic stock or wood? Also his choice.
"...He is 12..." How big? It matters. Youth models usually have LOP's in the 12" area. Savage's Youth models currently do not come in .223 according to their site. Their Axis XP Camo Compact does. LOP is 12.75" with a 20" barrel and comes with a mounted and bore sighted 3-9x40mm Weaver scope. MSRP is $495.00.

m&p45acp10+1, you being lefty is it just that you got use to right handed or reason for not using left handed bolt action rifle?

I currently have 2 Savage 12FV... I would like to get one in left handed if they were offered. I haven't seen it, seems like they don't.

------

Berettaprofessor, how is the Savage 223 Axis? Do like that it has detachable magazine. Found this one but not in stock: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/118989 but not in stock.

------

Wendyj, thanks for the suggestion. A bit more than what I want to spend.

------

FITASC, thanks for the links.

------

T. O'Heir, I would like to stay some where in the $400 area, maybe that is low end. From what I have so far and what he has shot, he has expressed interest/desire in:

1. His choice is based on caliber only .223 not manufacturer. I have room here to choose for him, lol.
2. Detachable magazine. Converted a Savage 12FV 6.5 creed with new chassis and detachable magazine and likes that feature. He doesn't like the top load.
3. He will grow with it, if possible a heavy barrel that will last quite a few years before replacing. If non available in heavy, not necessary as he will be the only one firing it.
4. Since the rifles I have are synthetic stock, he hasn't expressed much interest for either wood/synthetic stock. He likes the cool looking gun as for him, the Savage 12FV with the new chassis looks cool. Perhaps maybe down the road, a new chassis might be in added.

He has not used a youth rifle, so I do want to stay away from it. He is 5'2" tall, not sure how much exactly he weighs but he is not skinny nor does he have the keg like his dad, lol. I have a Ruger MPR 5.56 and he used it yesterday for the first time and liked it. He shot about 70 rounds which honestly I thought he was going to do less than 10 rounds. I have been contemplating on the Remington 700 heavy barrel.

I got used to shooting right handed bolt actions. If I saw a lefty cheap enough when I was looking and had funds I would pick one up for me. It would take me getting used to it. Also I have fired lefty bolt actions. For speed I am faster if shooting from prone, or a bench with a right handed bolt action. I can stay mounted to the stock, and track my target as my right hand works the bolt. It has served me well on many hot dog towns.

I am not sure of the model number. My LGS has a Savage with AcuStock, and AcuTrigger, with a medium heavy barrel, and a brake on it. Price is about $850 They also have a wood stock Browning in .223 that is a lefty price was $750 for a matte finish, $850 for a very nice looking one with a glass like blued finish. Both are lefty.

$400 is tough in some rifles as being left handed automatically costs you an extra $100 plus in most rifles. Online sales will be your best bet for finding the best deal on lefthand rifles, eithe use the links provided or try gunbroker.com. Allow for shipping costs and transfer fees, I usually only buy if they ship for $35 or less and my transfer agent cost $35 so I figure cost of the rifle plus $70 and that's how I bid at auction. Don't forget while most local stores don't stock them, but if you ask can order left hand rifles in.

Savage will be your best bet for LH rifles having the most options. However, I'd look seriously at the Trophy Hunter XP package that was linked above. While it's $520 and $200 more than the Axis linked by the time you scope the Axis you'll be close to $500 anyway. The 3-9X40 Prostaff Nikon is a decent scope for your son to start with.

My oldest grand daughter will be 12 in June. She is a lefty like her grand dad.

I bought her a LH Ruger American in 243 Win. She loves to shoot.

She shoots all her step dad's ARs in 223 Rem. off the bench. They are a might heavy for her to shoot freehand.

Taylorce1, will consider the Trophy Hunter XP. I have been at gunbroker.com, looked around, but never bought through there and am skeptical. Just because I am not familiar with it. I have only bought through Cabela's online site to ship to store where there is no shipping fee just tax. But even they have limited items as well.

If you've ever bought anything off Ebay then you can handle gunbroker.com, same rules basically apply. Find the rifle you like then research sellers feedback. Look at their shipping costs, I don't usually buy if shipping of a rifle is more than $35. However, do not bid until you have found and researched the FFL Transfer Agent you want to use. Call the transfer agents close to you and discuss their fees, I used to not pay over $25 per transfer but CO now charges for a separate 2nd background check so $35-40 is now the norm.

So if you find a rifle you like, can live with price, shipping, and transfer fees then bid or "Buy it Now". Just don't get in a bidding war, determine the price you're willing to pay and stick to it on common commercial rifles like a Savage .223. If you don't win the first time there will be others just like it sooner or later. They also have some fire arms with "Take a Shot" where you offer the seller a price you're willing to pay, the seller can the accept or reject your offer.

Last edited:
Back