Lee REAL bullets

You should be able to, but the 200 grain REALS probably shoot with less recoil (muzzle jump) than the 250 grain REALS.

http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=11

http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_6

They might be a little hard to load, and you might need to use a wood or plastic hammer to help start them down the barrel.
You never know how they might shoot, but sometimes it helps to have a wool wad over the powder (under the bullet) to act like a gas check. This helps to seal the bore and to push the bullet out of the barrel evenly.
Some people use a round piece of card (or over powder card) made out of paperboard [cereal box], wax paperboard [milk carton] or a thin piece of cardboard underneath the bullet.
There's also .45 caliber plastic sabots that shoot .357 bullets, but rarely have I seen those shoot very accurately, at least not out of my .45 rifle anyway.

Thanks alot. I did try the Lee Minie improved 300 grains, and it shoot super acurate with a heavy recoil. Easy to load at least the first couple of shots. But i think 300 grains is a little to heavy for a pistol, or what do you think? or should i stick to it, couse it realy shoots super. And i realy like the recoil. Should i lube the improved bullet? Regards. Tommy ,Sweden.

I'm really surprised that the improved minnie shoots so good from your pistol. I have that mold, but never shot it much because it didn't shoot too good out of my 1 in 48 twist rifle, and it was tough to load because of it's length.
It makes me wonder if your pistol would like the 250 grain REAL or not.
Hey Tommy, I have an idea for you to try. The hollow base portion of the improved minnie is quite deep, and contributes to making that bullet very long and heavy. Maybe you could experiment trying to shorten it a little bit, then it would be more similar to the REAL bullets in several ways.
Why not first try to cut off the hollow base portion of the improved minnie and shorten it? I think that the hollow base is too thick to expand much if at all anyway. It would probably remove about 50 grains of lead or more, and that way you could start testing accuracy and recoil of a lighter bullet.
If you don't like the performance of this homemade "wadcutter" design, then you could try to trim some of the front of the minnie off and leave the hollow base alone, and test it again that way. I realize that you are changing the balance of the bullet, but maybe it will shoot okay for short range and maybe not. And then you will know if your mold has more than 1 application (use). You can always remelt the lead that you cut off, and the minnie has a lot of thin rings around it which can help you measure where to cut it off at the same place each time to compare results. So maybe this is how you can start to do a few performance experiments.
Maybe you can use a file or some kind of cutter as long as you make the cut edges smooth.
I would recommend lubrication of some kind, and don't forget about trying an overpowder wad or card that I mentioned before too.
You like the heavy recoil? Moderate recoil is okay, but too much can throw off accuracy.
How far away from the target are you shooting from to get such good accuracy?
What about shooting patched round balls, accurate?
I can see shooting the 300 grain minnie for more penetration when hunting, but sometimes shooting at paper targets doesn't require so much power.
Let us know us how everything works out,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello Stewe. The distance i did the shooting, was 25 meters. And i have not try the round ball yet. I did se, that Lee, have this combo mold. Lee REAL 200 grains bullet, and a 440 round ball in the same mold. I have a Ardesa 45, and i think its a target modell. Doubble set triggers, hooked breech, and some kind of target sights. And a heavy 10 inch octagon barrel. Real nice gun, and not expensive. But the Lee molds cost about 50 dollars in Sweden. I think my barrels muzzle is, I dont know the english word for it,a little like the breech of a revolver barrel. So i think it could be easy loading the Lee REAL bullet. I am realy curious to try this REAL bullet. But where i live, there is no gunstores with black powder accessories, so i have to send for everything. Maybe i try that cutting thing with the Improved bullet. Regards. Tommy.

Last edited:
Hello. i maybe did explain it a little strange.The muzzle is not like a funnel, but just a little truncated, so i think it could be not that bad loading the REAL bullet. Its not that easy, to find the right words in english. Yes, the trapper looks exactly like my gun. Regards.

Back