Lee Ram Prime, old style

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandeauRouge

Anyone have a suggestion as to what brand of spring i should grap to make a replacement for the Lee ram prime that used the primer holder that you had to change between large and small size?

I lost the spring and had to get a new style ram prime that sucks...

did 60 44 mag brass fine, but the stupid die body has a stupid spring loaded pin that is supposed to keep the shell holder tight, and on mine it was made wrong so had alot of tiping in it, last time i pulled the ram down,, the primer cup snagged on the shell holder and did some damage to the primer system..

Did 100 357 magnums and killed 8 primers due to the wiggle room and not so great fitting construction that allowed primers to flip upside down or just on the side when the primer pin started inserting the primer into case.

Hmmm. I'm trying to remember . There is a punch for a small primer. There is a punch for a large primer. There is a cup for a large primer. There is a cup for a small primer. I suspect if the large cup was on the small punch it would give you those fits,
I have not used the Lee hand press ram prime. I have used the Lee hand press. But I also have an RCBS hand priming tool. It costs some. I don't know your budget. It takes standard shellholders, I might go RCBS for the sake if tolerances. I'd get one for each cartridge head you load.

Its a lot more pleasant way to prime. Saves time,too. It holds 100 primers. You don't handle them.

Lee makes a hand prime tool that is similar. Some like them. I tried one or two.
I like the RCBS.

Last edited:
You know.....From the questions you are asking (which is fine! Keep asking!)

I always suggest an imprtant piece of loading gear is a good reloading manual.
Or two.
Seems you have some Lee tools. They are just fine. Lee makes a Handbook for Reloaders,

The books take you through the process,

I stumbled through on my own as a High School kid on my own. No Old Man around,no internet.

I bought a Hodgdon reloading manual. Then maybe a Sierra. They step by step you through the process of making good,safe reloads, They have a vested interest.

I generally like a manual from my bullet company and my powder company.

For cast bullets, Lyman makes a good reloading book.

You can learn a lot from Youtube, Some of it is even good,

And this is not a bad place,either.

The new style Lee captured ram priming system are an improvement because the spring cannot be lost.
I ordered a replacement from Titan reloading because the aluminum breach lock part got damaged after ram priming thousands of 9 mm.
The second one seems to have better machining tolerances and hasn't wallered out. I think that the first beech lock one was machined during "unprecedented times".

I hear your frustration I have felt it too. I have worn out or broken one of the old style and one of the new style [emoji1751]. I had a spring get lost on the old system in the middle of priming a big batch of 308 Winchester. I found it extremely frustrating and resisted the urge to pitch the whole thing behind the wood pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back