LEE Production IV Casting Furnace

Hey fellas will this be a good one for me to start out with I am a total greenhorn on bullet casting BUT I am learning quickly by reading & watching some of the good casting vids on YouTube I am going to buy all LEE equiptment to start I am on a VERY TIGHT BUDGET the lead is much higher than I thought it would be oh I can get those "WHEEL WEIGHTS " all I want but how do I get them casted into good shooting round balls for my .44 1858 Bison 12" revolver:D

Make sure the wheel weights are lead. The vast majority of wheel weights used in recent years are iron or zinc alloy and are not suitable for casting bullets. Many previous sources of lead wheel weights have disappeared in recent years.

Don't clean your wheel weights or scrap lead in your casting pot. Leaks are common with "dirty" alloy due to the design of the valve (not a bad thing, just something to remember). Get a Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook and read the "How To" section. Then practice, practice, practice. Then when you have problems, or just gathering info, look here; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ Discussions on every aspect of lead bullets (alloys, lubes, methods, sizing, coating, loading and shooting to name a few)...

Good read;http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm

Leaks are common with "dirty" alloy due to the design of the valve (not a bad thing, just something to remember).

Yep. There's a reason Lee pots are called "drip-o-matics".

Don

Just a note: your wheel weights might be a little too hard for easy loading in a black powder gun, but it has been done.

For just a discussion on pots. The Lee Pro IV has it's own advantages and disadvantages and much of it depends on how you plan to use it. If you are going to at any time try to use a ladle you will find it very cramped and restricted. If casting a big bunch of bullets you will find it small and wanting. If all you are going to do is cast a few hundred at a time it will work great and melt alloy quickly and keep up.

So keep those issues in mind when making a decision. The Lee Pro 4-20 or the Magnum pots may be a better choice.

I have 2 of the small Lee pots, a large one would be better but I was kind of poor when setting up for casting. The Lee pots work well in spite of the leaking valve. I do prefer Lyman bullet molds over the Lee's but the Lees will work, be gentle, they are made of aluminum. The only time I tried hard led round balls in my muzzle loader it was bad, real bad. I found that pure soft lead was the only way to go, it may not matter in your revolver but it did with the patched ball. Enjoy.

I had one. Get casting a few. Add more lead and instant slush. Wait.... wait, mild is cool , start over.

I had much better luck with a Coleman stove and a cast iron pot.

Just MY $.02.

David

Don't be put off by the Lee haters. you can be very successful casting with Lee products Round balls should be cast with pure soft lead.

Back