Lee powder drum broke . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof Young

Bought this in August of 2017, so it almost made it three years. (Warranty is two years don't ya know.) I wore some of the plastic parts out and had to replace them. Don't have any idea how many thousands of loads I've run through it. You can see what broke in the pic below. Will order a replacement. Pic on line looks like Lee has made some "improvements." I'm assuming the riser from the old one will work with the new.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Attachments

• Powder drum.jpg
    Powder drum.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 100
I loved my Lee powder drums so much I ended up with one per tool head.

I think one of the ways Lee is able to keep costs down is they don't have to roll in future replacements like others have to. It's reloaders are hard on everything just due to sheer number of cycles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Even though the warranty has expired it can't hurt to give Lee a call anyways. Explain that you love the autodrum measure, and that it broke under normal use. I would guess that they might replace the part for free.

Even though the warranty has expired it can't hurt to give Lee a call anyways. Explain that you love the autodrum measure, and that it broke under normal use. I would guess that they might replace the part for free.
Lee doesn't really have the same Warranty as others, mostly because the profit margin they have vs others. But, the worst they can do is say you have to buy a new one and pay for shipping. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a discount. But wouldn't be totally agast if they sent one free. They're decent folk. Can't hurt to all

Stated Warranty says . . .

Lee's stated warranty is two years for full repair or replacement. After two years you may send your broken item, so long as it is in current production, to them for repair at half the price of a new one.

Well, midway has the powder rum on sale for $30 something bucks so I just ordered one from them.

Calling Lee may be worth the while too.

Life is good.
Prof Young

They have he part . . .

Marco - Thanks for the info. They had the part for only 12 bucks. May get one and fix the old instrument.

Life is good.
Prof Young

There is a reason Lee is cheaper.
Yes. They don't roll in the price of two replacements into the cost of one.

Think of how many times you hear people say "I called up company x(usually green...) And they just sent me a whole new one! " That replacement isn't free. You're actually buying two or three when you buy just one, even if you don't use it.

I've purchased used green equipment at estate sales. Sometimes missing small parts, the green company has always stood behind their product
with NO questions asked.

You get what you pay for.

Right. Because when they first were bought, they paid for all the replacements. Those aren't free to them. That cost had to be covered somehow, so it's rolled into the purchase price. It's simple economics.

I like how Tommy boy explains guarantees.

Here's another way to look at it. Let's pretend there's two companies that sell the same widget. Trying to decide which to buy, you ask about them. You get an equal number of responses for both. The consensus for company a's customer service is, everyone has had to contact them, but they all got replacement parts for free. Company b, on the other have, a very small percentage have even had to deal with their customer service, but there's the same response of free replacements with a smile. Long story short, I'd rather buy from a company that people don't know what the customer service is like, because that means nobody has had an issue (never happens, but you get the point) than a company that EVERYONE has had to contact them, multiple times.

If you had to contact a car manufacturer as often at people talk to certain reloading companies, everyone would be pissed.

I don't but guaranteed pieces of crap.

I'll wager there's just as much Lee equipment out there as green. And I bet if you asked for a show of hands, how many people have had to contact either company, I've got a good idea who gets contacted more. And not because people don't even try because Lee is just easier to buy another.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, don't mean to stir the pot.

When mine broke, I decided by the time I paid shipping to send it back for a 1/2 price replacement, I just bought a new one on ebay.

Pretty sure my Uniflo will never break. Unlike my Lee priming tool and my Lee lead casting pot. Lee does make nice scoops that hold up. i actually like the priming tool, have 2, first one broke so i decided to have a spare. They also wear out, made of pot metal os make sure you keep the linkage greased.

Castings can have voids that as stresses are repeatedly put on them will cause them to break eventually, but not all castings will have voids that cause failure. It's not a guarantee the case body of this Lee measure is going to break, it's just more likely to compared to a steel forging from "green" or other company.

The benefit of the Lee vs the other more expensive powder measures is you can buy one for each head you have for a progressive or LCT turret and spend much less money, plus have multiple drums set up for different powder charges or powders.

Pretty sure my Uniflo will never break. Unlike my Lee priming tool and my Lee lead casting pot. Lee does make nice scoops that hold up. i actually like the priming tool, have 2, first one broke so i decided to have a spare. They also wear out, made of pot metal os make sure you keep the linkage greased.
The Lee pots are the best value for any caster. Sure, the heating elements go after a while, but those are a $20 part and 30 minutes of work to replace to get an $80 tool back up and running. They are so cheap and so good that it put RCBS and Lyman out of the market for bottom pour pots. I don't see the value to spending $250 or $300 on a tool that does the same thing as an $80 tool that needs occasional service to replace a $20 part.

I prefer Lee Classic Turret over any press on the market for light to medium duty reloading. I keep a RCBS under the bench in the event I ever need any heavy duty case sizing or wildcatting but for anything up to a .308 Win the Lee is just fine.

I am getting ready to try some benchrest shooting and I would bet a six pack of adult beverage I will be the only person on the line using a Lee. I have a Lee single stage set up for range loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back