Lee Mold Saga Continues

Hunter Customs

Back in March of this year I started a thread about my experience and discontent in trying to purchase a Lee 430-310 bullet mold.
Here's a little back ground on that thread.
I received the first mold the cavities appeared to have been cut with a chainsaw, returned the mold received the replacement mold and it was as bad or worse then the first mold.
Both molds were inspected by the same inspector "Lucille".

I contacted Lee about the problem, the lady I was on the phone with did not really seem to care.
Midsouth, caring about customer service sent me a return label for both molds, they took care of the issue in a very polite and timely fashion, it's to bad Lee will not do the same.

Moving forward to today.
I ordered a Lee 6 cavity 452-300 mold from Midsouth a couple of days ago, received my order today.
Opened the box to inspect the Lee 6 cavity mold, right off the bat I could see things were not right.
The diameter of the cavities looked to small even though the mold was stamped 452-300 and the box was labeled the same.
I have the same 452-300 mold in a 2 cavity mold so I picked up a couple of bullets I cast with it.
I slipped the bullet in the 6 cavity mold and as I suspected the cavities are to small to cast 45 caliber bullets as the mold does not even come close to closing on the bullet.

I actually believe the cavities in this 6 cavity mold may be for the 44 mag (430-310) however because I never received a good 430-310 mold I have no bullets to check it with.
I do not need nor want a 6 cavity 430-310 mold so Midsouth is sending me a return label so I can send the mold back to them, they are going to credit my card back because at this time I'm not sure I want anymore Lee molds or Lee products.

The name of the inspector on this last mold was Shirley.
I've come to the conclusion that the job of the quality control inspectors at Lee is to not inspect anything, I believe their motto is "just stick a label on it and ship it" and going by my experience Lee's customer service department is just as bad as their quality control department.

At least MidSouth is crediting you for it.

Midsouth is tops in my book, my customer service experience with them is top shelf all the way.

Lee's customer service on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired, as for their bullet molds I can't give much praise for them either.
Even the few I've received that some how slipped out the door and were correct I've had to rebuild them to make them user friendly.

I've come to the conclusion that the job of the quality control inspectors at Lee is to not inspect anything, I believe their motto is "just stick a label on it and ship it" and going by my experience Lee's customer service department is just as bad as their quality control department.
That has been my experience with Lee, as well.

If I try to elaborate, it will just turn into a rant. It should suffice to say that I've had experiences ranging from disappointing, to bad, to utterly unbelievable. And the recurring theme in all of those situations is that they were MAJOR issues that would have been noticed during any type of quality inspection, if the inspector had so much as glanced at the part/tool/mold.

I have some Lee molds, Lee tools, and Lee dies. As they wear out, break, or just @#%$ me off too many times, I replace them with higher quality items.

Some Lee stuff is kind of marginal but usually works. I prefer Lyman molds or even RCBS to the Lees.

I've bought all my Lee molds from Amazon and the only issues I've had were the line up pins loosening up. Quite a common thing. I have a fix for that now. They all make pretty bullets.

I hav3 a 6 cavity lee mold for 357. Damn near ruined a sizing die. They were casting at around .363 ... i have a 2 cavity in the same profile in .357 that cast just fine.

Lee has quality control 8ssues for sure

The 2 Lee molds I bought worked fine, but I was not satisfied with them. They set unused now and I have moved on. M-P Molds, NOE Molds and Accurate Molds dominate my casting bench. All three are high quality and have excellent customer service. I may decide to sell some of them as I am venturing into the world of casting with a Master Caster from Magma Engineering.

Back