Lee Loadmaster vs Auto Breech Lock Pro

WinterRanger

Inactive
First time posting here. Just got started into reloading a while ago. I did a bit of research and didn’t want to spend Dillon money just yet. So Lee was where I landed, and the Pro 4000 kit in 9mm. For the most part I’m happy with it. Yes like most Lee things it takes a little tinkering with to get it just right. That doesn’t bother me in the least as long as I can get it working. Not a fan of the safety prime system. I can operate it just fine, but it really slows down the process. Not a fan of the case rotating away from me after a charge. I like that the loadmaster does rotate towards you. But all in all it does a pretty good job once you get a rhythm established. That was except for one thing. Consistent COAL.

So my eye kept going back to the loadmaster. Yes I know it’s a 30 yr old design, and their ABL Pro is their new hotness but I kept being drawn to it. The ram on the ABL Pro is offset under station 1. On the other side of the press is station 3, bullet seating. It seems to me that when you are talking thousandths of an inch, something like ram placement might make a difference.

So finally to my question. For those that have tried both, which did you like better and why?

I’m waiting to get the Loadmaster (which Lee has told me they are discontinuing and no longer manufacturing). It will be here tomorrow. I’ll take some of the steps outlined in countless videos to get it running “smoothly” and then give it a go. Hopefully COALs are consistent.

Ten years + ago, I had a lot of trouble with a Loadmaster's primer feed system. At that time they were entirely made of plastic and broke frequently. In the two years I loaded with it, I went through a half dozen large and small pistol feed arms. I gave the press away, eventually and went to a Dillon 550B which has been outstanding for over 75000 rounds + now. They are truly worth the money. Hope your new Loadmaster works out well for you....Best Regards, Rod

Too bad I didn’t know you wanted to waste your money on a Loadmaster sooner, I would have made you a heck of a deal on one with a lot of extra parts. After blowing the top off my Model 627 thanks to the constant malfunctioning Loadmaster I switched to the CCT and it was the best move I made for loading pistol ammo.

jetinteriorguy said:
Too bad I didn’t know you wanted to waste your money on a Loadmaster sooner, I would have made you a heck of a deal on one with a lot of extra parts. After blowing the top off my Model 627 thanks to the constant malfunctioning Loadmaster I switched to the CCT and it was the best move I made for loading pistol ammo.
CCT?

WinterRanger,

Welcome to the forum.

What round and what bullet are you loading? How inconsistent is the COL? Often, for rifle bullets seated by contact with the ogive, up to 0.020" variation can turn out to be due to bullet variation from the output of different tooling sets being combined in the box or from match bullet hollow points having small slanted angles. For lubricated cast handgun bullets seated by contact with the bullet nose, the buildup of lubricant and lead shavings can be responsible. If you are seating and crimping separately, I've seen the compressed air in a handgun case gradually push a lubricated lead cast lead bullet up, so that variation in the time between the seating and the crimping operations can result in COL variation. lots of possibilities, but more detail is needed.

Back