lee final crimp die ?

rebs

When I reload 45 acp with 230 gr Bayou coated bullets I sometimes get a slightly bulged case. Am I crimping too much crimping to .469 ?
What causes a bulge in a 45 acp case when it had been resized and there was no bulge to start with ? Can it be the case was flared too much ?
What could I be doing wrong ?
How much crimp do you guys put on jacketed, cast and coated bullets ? I want to get away from using a Lee factory crimp die on my Hornady LNL AP so I have a station available for a powder cop die.

45ACP should only be taper-crimped ONLY enough to straighten the mouth to ~0.470". (In that sense it is not "crimped" at all)

Also, seat and crimp in a separate step to keep from bulging the case.

Bulges are inevitable when reloading plated or bare cast. Bullets don't always go in straight.

Some people taper crimp to .469, some just remove the flare and call it good. Personally I use a FCD to make sure they chamber reliably.

I think I found the error of my ways. I reduced the amount of bell in the case mouth, found my crimp die was set too low and crimping too much too soon. I got it all set right and removed the Lee factory crimp die, moved the seater/crimp over a position and set up the Hornady powder cop die. I reloaded 50 rounds and they all fed, fired and ejected fine in my Glock 30, G21 and Colt gold cup.
I am using all Federal brass and taper crimping to .471 with no bullet movement.

With semi-auto handgun cartridges (9mm, .380 Auto, etc.), I "crimp" only enough to remove the 'bell' from expanding (if I even bothered to do so - some bullets don't need it).

Well, for that matter, I rarely crimp revolver loads, either. Most of my cast bullet loads are not "full house" and crimp-jump is not a concern.

Most of my loads are hot so I crimp EVERYTHING including my auto cases with either a roll crimp of FCD. It does not take much of a crimp to get a reliable powder burn and still head space on the case mouth.

Back