Lee Enfield No. 5 MK I "Jungle Carbine"

dhdallas

Inactive
First off, for all those who view any type of modification to a vintage military rifle as a mortal sin; I apologize. I was only 16 years old in 1969 when I added a scope to this rifle and unaware of the importance of keeping a vintage gun in its original untouched condition. In my defense, these "Jungle Carbines" were a "dime-a-dozen" at the time.

My dad bought this authentic Lee Enfield No. 5 MK I (not a cut-down) for less than $20 at a G.C. Murphy's store shortly after WW2. He took many deer here in N/W PA but always said the gun was so ugly he would hold it behind him when meeting another hunter due to his embarrassment. He gave it to me when I was sixteen and I always thought it looked cool and I too have taken many a deer over the years. I am now 64 years old and have several newer brand-name rifles but this is my favorite and I still use it to this day.

Again, please excuse me for the sacrilege of modifying the rifle but since I had already had it drilled and tapped for the scope, I figure “Hey, you can only hang a guy once”. So, I went all-in on the customization and the rifle now sports a Cerakote Sniper Grey finish to the metalwork and a Graphite Black Cerakote finish to the stock. The mounted optics consist of a TruGlo 1-6x scope for longer shots and a side-mounted Burris Fast Fire Red Dot for those quick close-up shots. I have never had the so-called "Wandering Zero" problem with Sellier & Bellot 180 grain SP ammo.

Our whitetails in PA tremble at the thought of catching lead poisoning from this weapon and it will blast its way through hemlock branches and brush like it wasn't even there. They can run but they can't hide!

Lee-Enfield No. 5 Mk 1
AKA: “Jungle Carbine”
.303 British
Mfg. 1944-1947
ATI scope mount
TruGlo 1-6x illuminated scope
Burris Fast Fire 3 Red Dot (side mount)
Hoptic Quiver 2-shell ammo holder
Graphite Black H-146 & Sniper Grey H-234
Cerakote by Easton Firearms Refinishing, Easton, PA.
Cheek Riser by Matthew's Fabrication (available from Amazon)

46344176_360844881354345_7342530416835821568_n.jpg

46452369_360846198020880_5278269439597346816_n.jpg

46345830_360846501354183_5903936176217128960_n.jpg

Last edited:
"..."dime-a-dozen" at the time..." Lotta stuff like that at the time. Nobody ever thought any of it would ever be worth what it is now. Isn't that long ago Mosin-Nagants were $100 either.
Knew a guy who used nothing but a No. 5 Rifle for moose. Another guy who as far as I know still uses a bubba'd No. 4 for everything, including moose. He says, "It works. Why change it?" Not that his wife would let him.

I remember when old military bolt rifles could be had for $9.95 and bought out of magazines by anyone with the money through the mail. Lordy I'm old.

I have a certain fondness for British rifles. My very first centerfire rifle was a pristine No4 Mk1 that I paid $20 for back in 1966. Of course the first thing I did was to sporterize it and I am sure that I will probably go riflemans hell for ruining that poor thing. I like to think that I have made up for it somewhat in the ensuing years by un-sporterizing several military guns.

I always thought that the No5 carbines were cool looking and earlier this year I found a 1944 vintage one at a local gun store for $350 and bought it instantly. I like the fact that yours has a long term family history

Back