Lee Enfield identification

Good morning,

I have .303 Lee Enfield 1942 and I don't know who it's made, Savage or Long Branch or some others, can you help me?

I can't read the lettres on the left side, they are disapeared

Thank you

Michel

The BNP marks are British Nitro Proof. These are the marks made by the British when it was exported or left military service and pressure tested. The word England is also an import mark.

It is not a Savage, it would say "US PROPERTY". It is not a LONGBRANCH, it would say so. And that hole in front of the bolt would be 3 small holes, not one big hole, if it were a Longbranch. These marks may have been removed, but this seems unlikely. It is a lot of work to remove that much metal. Are they any other marks on the parts? S in a square will be Savage parts. I would check the front sights and look for initials there, that may indicate which British factory produced it. My guess is that it is a Birmingham, they were often marked with a "B" and you may not be seeing it. But someone who knows serial numbers might have a better idea.

Unfortunately, Bubba's handiwork in producing a Custom Sporting Rifle has rendered any identification of the original military source pretty much a non-issue.

Good morning SwampYankee and thank you for informations, take a look on these pictures and tell me your impressions. The serial number is: N3468 and it's written the same number on Bolt action, the head it's a #0. Excuse my English, I'm French Canadian (LOL)

Thank you again

Michel

I believe that what appears like an E in the third picture is a poorly struck B and indicates production by Birmingham Small Arms.

Not only Bubba; it was common practice in England when a rifle was rebuilt to remove the original factory markings and apply the FTR mark of the rebuild facility.

Jim

I think Jim is right, that looks like B. Attached are two photos of one of my Birmingham's. This one was made in 1943 at the main factory. I assume ROFB and BSA are the same company, Royal Ordnance Factory Birmingham or Birmingham Small Arms. I'm not sure why both names are used but I see mostly BSA, I've only seen ROFB on sights.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

This ROFB got my interest. I've never actually seen the term "Royal Ordnance Factory Birmingham" used, I just assumed that was the meaning of the abbreviation since it was a BSA rifle (thus it must be what ROFB stood for). So I did a search of ROFB and it stands for Royal Ordnance Factory Birtley. ROFB won't tell you who made the rifle but the B on barrel does tell you it is BSA. Most British Enfields were composed of parts made by dozens of subcontractors so I guess I'm not surprised, but Maltby and Fazakerley actually made rifles. I guess Birtley just made small parts?

Thank you with each one of you, it is appreciated. I would have a last question for you; how I make to remove the sight at the end of the gun? Dremel? grinder? etc… I had install one scope on the rifle and I have not need this sight and my rifle would have a better look with out this sight, I like an unrifled bore better.

Michel

Last edited:
meh..I do not know if I would dremel or grind it off ..a small gear puller and a small block of wood over the end of the barrel will pull it right off. You have a slightly different barrel then I do though. My site is right at the end not recessed back a few inches like yours. But it still has the same key way setup yours does. Lol I am sure a few collectors just cringed over my suggestion though.

Thank you Flippycat, now tell me if I can remove those things, picture below, you told me with a small piece of wood and a puller, it is just one piece this sight? the end the barrel it is just one piece or two?
The picture that you posted is similar like mine except that I have an end of 2 ½ " in front of my sight, it is what I would like to remove. Sorry for the collectors, but I love my rifle to go deer, moose etc... hunting, it's my prefered rifle, with Bushnell Trophy scope

Thank you

Michel

Last edited:
mine is actually the same as yours, it looks like my barrel was shortened to where your sight sits now. I am sure someone could let me know if I am wrong, But I believe that front key is for a bayonet lug?

Thank you Flippycat,
Tell me this end of the gun s' removes in front of the sight? I imagine the end of the barrel as been fix after the sight. On your picture you don't have the end of the sight, you remove?

Michel

The two lugs are forged onto the barrel and can only by removed with a lathe. These lugs are for the bayonet. The sight assembly can be removed by first driving the small pin out, the small hole below the sight dove tail, then using a puller slowly remove the sight assemble without damaging the rifling crown. Sometimes the sight assembly is heat shrunk onto the barrel and will require considerable force, so much so that in removal could damage the barrel, in particular the crowning.:eek:
If you are keen to remove the pieces, the best bet is to cut the barrel off before the sight assemble in a position that will not effect accuracy. Just cutting/shortening a barrel, if not done in the right place can effect the accuracy.:)

Back