lee dyes

cupojoe

Inactive
I use the full length sizer dye for my rem 22-250 cal. When i remove the casing from the dye I notice a ring around near the middle of the body in the casting, is this normal?

Question probably belongs in the 'reloading' section, but anyway...

My Lee 30-06 die doesn't put any rings on the case, except near the bottom where it ceases the sizing function.

Joe,

Welcome to the forum.

The ring Chris refers to near the bottom of the case is called the expansion ring, and it is where the brass gets thinnest and widest. It happens at that location because the brass is thicker below that point and doesn't expand much on firing, so the wall at the expansion ring stretches instead to let the head find the breech.

Occasionally you now see foreign made brass where the thick portion of the brass runs a lot further forward in the case than on typical domestic brass, and those get their expansion ring nearer to mid-case. So this may well be a function of whose brass you have. Even if it's a domestic brand, like Remington, it could have been outsourced to a foreign supplier and have this characteristic. Cutting a case in half lengthwise is the only way I know to check.

In any case, it isn't likely to have anything to do with the Lee die.

Greetings cupojoe, and welcome aboard

By ring do you mean an abrupt change in dimension, like a bulge or depression, or something a like change in the finish like color or sheen? A few photos would help.

As chris in va mentioned, this is probably the wrong place to post your question. You may wish to report (with pics) in the general reloading forum, not this lead melters' sub-forum.

Good luck.

I was assuming it's just the shiny ring around the case from more resizing friction over the pressure ring. Don't think I have a photo handy, but it's common, especially with a military chamber that has some extra width at the breech end.

Back